Who's headed to WV next week? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Who's headed to WV next week?

I'm headed down to the Mountaineer State for a few days of R&R next week. Looking forward to getting into the mountains, and reconnecting with old friends in Pendleton County. Good luck, and travel safe to those making the trek.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:18 AM
The Man

Re: Who's headed to WV next week?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Part of the Community

Southbound as we speak! Heading to the family's old home place Braxton county well hunt Monday Tuesday and Wednesday morning head back late morning!! Goodluck and safe travels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I will be heading down to WV next week for the Thanksgiving Holiday with family. Unfortunatley I don't hunt when I go there every year but I do always look forward to the tripto the mountainous area. We go the Berkeley Springs area. I enjoy talking hunting stories with my family while there and it just seems to be a pre-vacation leading into my rifle season vacation.

"When seconds count…the police are only minutes away”.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 PM
The Man

Got down here Friday. This is my 20th year down in Wetzel county, here's to another 20 years!

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm in West Virginia right now for a week of deer hunting. This is my annual vacation and I love hunting here. Good luck to those hunting WV this week!

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

heading down to Mon County as we speak
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 PM
New Arrival

I'm heading down there next week to give it a go, never been but I figured I'd give it a shot since a buddy of mine lives down there just east of Morgantown.

There are a few WMAs I'm looking at - Cheat Canyon, Snakehill, Upper Decker, Beech Fork - anyone have any familiarity with those or others nearby that they would recommend? I've been going over topo maps for the area and fortunately I'll have one full day to devote to scouting when I get down there, but I'm mostly going in blind.

I'm taking my climber with me but I may just leave it in the car and hunt from the ground. Plus I'd like to get away from any crowds so I'm planning to travel lite. Would appreciate whatever insight you guys are willing to share!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I went to WV for the first day. We left Bedford County at 5 on Sunday morning, and got to Keyser just as the sun was coming up. We saw 30-40 deer out in the fields as we traveled down the road. I stopped a couple times to try and get a picture of a couple of the bucks.
This guy was a couple hundred yards out, tracking a doe.

A little further down the road, we came across another buck looking for love.

After getting set up for the opener, I stopped for gas. As I was standing there, I caught a quick glimpse of another small buck out trolling.

It seemed as if we'd really hit the rut while it was in full swing. Monday morning opened pretty quite. I'd heard a couple shots just after sun up, but our party was quiet. I was making my way across the top of the mountain. Finally, about 9:30 a couple doe came charging my way. I was hoping they would run down the mountain to my 82 year old hunting companion. But, as deer so often do, they ran the other way. Then, I can see another deer coming, nose to the ground. It circled out in front of me a few times, trying to pick up the hot doe. I picked out spot, and shot. I was confident of the hit, but it took off down the mountain. I put the finishing shot in him a couple minutes later. After gutting the buck, I drug him down to the main road. My season was over. We decided to come home on Tuesday morning. I left the deer with my buddy, as he only saw a couple doe, and couldn't get a shot. I brought the rack and the memories home with me.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page