Follow The Map To Whitetails Release 90-15 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Follow The Map To Whitetails Release 90-15

FOLLOW THE MAP TO WHITETAILS

Deer Hunter Focus Areas point hunters to some of the best deer habitat on state game lands.

Scouting for deer is all about looking for sign.

And this year, hunters also can look for signs – green-and-yellow paper placards reading “Deer Hunter Focus Area” – and follow them to some of the best whitetail habitat on state game lands.

Sections of game lands posted as Deer Hunter Focus Areas recently have undergone timber harvests or other habitat modifications that typically cause deer to concentrate because of an abundance of newly available food. Many of these areas are off the beaten path, and have been posted to alert hunters to their presence and the potential they hold.

“Some of the best places to hunt deer on state game lands are in remote, often mountainous, areas where forest-management practices have opened the canopy to promote increased plant growth,” said Dave Gustafson, chief forester for the Pennsylvania Game Commission. “However, these areas often are in remote destinations, some distance from roads open to public travel.

“That’s where this new program intends to help hunters. Our goal is to guide hunters within a half-mile – or less – of game lands locations where deer are taking advantage of these habitat improvements.”

In large tracts of forestlands, deer are drawn – almost immediately – to wherever any thinning of the forest canopy occurs. Such places quickly offer increased amounts of browse – forest plants and other succulent vegetation that are an important part of a deer’s diet. Thinned forest areas usually provide sufficient cover, too.

But drawing enough hunting pressure to these areas is key to maintaining that habitat. And as part of the program, more game lands roads will be opened to vehicles. That should help hunters cut the time it takes to travel and hike to their hunting spots, whether they’re hunting in a Deer Hunter Focus Area or somewhere else.

“By getting hunters into these areas, we can keep deer numbers in balance with available food, and the land can continue to provide for deer there, making these places ideal hunting spots for years to come,” Gustafson said.

Of course, as a result of this new program, there also will be hunters who end up with more company where they hunt currently in game lands interiors. But the program, in its first year, will occur on only 30 or so tracts of game lands. Hunters seeking to avoid the crowds still have plenty of room and places to hunt on most forested game lands.

Signs identifying Deer Hunter Focus Areas contain a yellow keystone, surrounded by a green background with images of deer silhouettes in all four corners.

Maps of state game lands with sections posted as Deer Hunter Focus Areas can be found on the Game Commission’s website, www.pgc.state.pa.us. Go to the homepage and select Deer Hunter Focus Area link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Banned

Re: Follow The Map To Whitetails Release 90-15

Thxs for the info Casey. Good starting points when looking in new areas.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 PM
The Man

All I can say is WOW!!

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...e__090_15.html

I am all for teaching people to hunt, but this one irks me. Thank god I didn't see any of the gamelands that I hunt on the map. If I hunted one of those areas I would be jacked! You put your time in, use what time you have to scout and find a good area. Then you go in to your spot on the first day of buck, and see 10 cars parked there and neon signs right to your spot?

I would double check this map if you hunt one of those "white tail deer focus areas" hunt up wind from them, and shoot the deer that these sign chaser spook out of there.

I think this one is flat out wrong. Now I am a big time supporter of the PGC but this one is a bad move IMO

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Re: All I can say is WOW!!

I think the game commission is trying to promote deer hunting by any means they can. I hunt near two spots on their map and there are far better places to deer hunt than where they are pointing out. One spot borders a lease, and the lease is not worth 2 cents to hunt, but someone is definitely making money on some unfortunate hunters. I think this is a gimmick, sort of an attention grabber to get some people excited.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: All I can say is WOW!!

All I can say is the last time I grouse hunted SGL 110 could not believe how much area was timbered.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They should have made the SGL borders on the map red, and focus areas orange.

Because that will be all You see on Monday morning, November 30th in any one of them. If you can find parking...

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 AM

Yeah, I'm glad I don't hunt any of them either. My question is that will they add more sgl's in the program next year? Bad move totally in my opinion. Do your own scouting, find your own spots, and if you do shoot a deer it will be worth the effort. This is one of the closest things to having a "guide" with you. Another bad move by the PGC.
And yes, it will be a pumpkin patch in these areas on the rifle opener.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

where are those signs ???....

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 PM

Why do some posts get so wide I have to scroll for miles to reach the end of a sentence? is it possible to have a post only
be as wide as my monitor as a default on this site? No offense, but it usually forces me to
not read a post on move on to something else right away.

Is this because the thread was "merged"?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Part of the Community

Finally, No Scouting needed!

What would be interesting is, how much money they spent on this. Good luck in Gun Season Fellas
deer focus areas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page