Southwest Elk? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Southwest Elk?

Anybody hunt elk in New Mexico or Arizona?

Thank God I'm an American, and not a democrat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Banned

Re: Southwest Elk?

I leave for my Arizona unit 10 muzzleloader elk hunt in 7 days. it took 8 years to draw the tag but Arizona is famous for monster bulls. I drew a tag 8 years ago and shot a real good bull then. if you want a real good elk hunt start buying points in Arizona. new mexico has lower draw odds for non residents and if you don't draws they don't give you any points. at least Arizona gives you a point for every year you don't draw making your odds better the next year. on this hunt my goal is a 340 bull or better and I know with the outfitter I am going with and what the unit produces the likely hood of killing that kind of bull is realistic. also check into wyoming, another great state for big bulls. I shot a 340 bull last year in unit 7. took 6 years to draw that tag.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

New Mexico

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunted AZ unit 6A last year during archery season and shot a ~330 bull, and 3 years ago I hunted muzzleloader season in NM in unit 34 and killed decent bull. I also hunt CO (most years) and WY (every 5 years when I draw a tag) and AZ / NM are my preferred states. PM me if you have any questions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

What I'm looking for, should have said, was weather conditions, terrain, distance from camp to hunting area (I hate horses). I would be using an outfitter.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've hunted NM 3 times, elk flintlock, mule deer flintlock, and antelope rifle. Also lived on the Ca side near Parker Az for 7 years. Both Az and NM are arid states with elevations from flat low desert to steep very thin air alpine ski areas.

I hunted elk on the Acoma indian reservation and like above there are all those things. You rent a 4wd and follow your guide to the tent camp in the interior of the rez. You have a full size tent/cot. There is a hard trailer with several heated showers/bathrooms and a large dining tent. Camp will probably have 5-6 hunters. Each person has their own tent and section of the Acoma with either a native or non-native guide. You'll go out in his truck, maybe glass vistas, maybe sit near a waterhole, maybe call near an opening. Depends on timing/elk movements/weather.

The Acoma is very well known, they have a high success rate but not 100%. When I was there were 6 hunters and I was the only one to get an animal, the only one with even a shot opportunity on a large bull. But the conditions were unusual. We had severe thunderstorms everyday, even 2 emergency situations. During one of the storms one of the groups didn't come back that evening. Rescue was radioed but the chopper couldn't fly in the dark with the rain, winds, and lightning. They couldn't access their area with 4wd and atvs because of flooding. Luckily the next morning was clear and they were found. Their truck was submerged in a washed out road and they swam to the woods, spent a cold wet night under the trees. The next day one of the native guides had a sandstone cliff give way under him and he fell about 20 feet on rocks, broke his left collar bone and lower arm. Had to be taken over 100 miles to a hospital.

So with water and mud everywhere the elk patterns were unusual. I shot mine during a very intense dry thunderstorm, lightning and thunder like crazy but the rest of the rez was getting a deluge. The following day where I shot mine it would have been inaccessible due to the road now being in the middle of a lake. But that is weather and that is hunting. The Acoma is a stunning place.

People have different tolerances for cost but if you are interested I can connect you with the manager and also a guide there, he's non-native and a friend. Rick Chancellor, also owns Major League Outfitters. I've hunted with him in NM, Texas, and Mexico.

A few pics from the Acoma hunt:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1077539...lockElk200902#

http://www.acomabiggamehunts.com/main.html?pgid=27

http://majorleagueoutfitters.com/aco...lo_elk_hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZV9F2y69Vk

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, nice pictures too, but the price is a little too steep for me.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you draw a tag in AZ, take a look at Northern Arizona Outfitters - http://www.northernarizonaoutfitters.com/. I hunted archery season in 6A with them last year, and they were great. Best price I could find in the state. They are two brothers who run a successful business out of Flagstaff, and guide for the joy of taking people out on a great hunt. They had excellent equipment and can scout out any place in the state prior to the season. My dad and I both shot our biggest bulls ever, and I would go back with these guys without even looking into other options.

If you draw a NM tag, try http://www.sjroutfitters.com/. They have a good deal on a "semi-guided" hunt, where they set you up with a place to stay, and they'll retrieve an elk with horses when you get one, but you are on your own in millions of acres of public land. They provide suggestions on where to go and maps. I have hunted with them once and guided my dad when he drew a tag 15 years ago, and in each case everyone hunting had opportunities and some shot huge bulls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page