colarado self hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Kuvats
colarado self hunt

any one ever done a self guided hunt for elk doesn't have to been in CO just looking for some advice on gear to take
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 PM

Re: colarado self hunt

I do self guided elk in Sept in CO every yr...
Pm me questions
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've done 7 self guided elk hunts.I've been to Colorado 3x,Montana 1x,and Wy 3x.I'd say your best off in Mt or Wy on a general tag.A Colorado tag is good if you have points and can get a limited tag;not an otc tag.In mt and wy,you can go for both rifle and archery on same tag by just buying an archery stamp;not so in Co.Best odds in my opinion are archery hunting elk.They are very vocal and easy to find then.They are easy to call in if you watch your wind.You DONT have to hike in any more then 2 miles beyond popular belief.My elk spot in Wy, the elk are right behind my roadside camp.A long walk of about 300 yards to get into awesome elk hunting,and I've never seen another hunter in there.Wy takes 1 point to draw a general tag,Mt has leftover tags every year so they are basically otc.Co. has a lot of zero point draws that offer great hunting in archery.I could helpyou in unit 55 there.All my buddieswho have tried Wy for elk have never gone back to Co.Its that good
Rifle hunting,your best bet is to have snow and still hunt them.The 1st day of rifle they are usually still bugling up until the guns start going off.This will help you locate them then.In Wy, you could archery hunt and rifle hunt on the same trip.Rifle season opens early and during the rut in western Wy.You just missed the deadline for buying a point in Wy.If you choose to do Co. otc,expect company as theres a lot of hunters in Co.If I was to do an otc hunt in Co it would be 3rd season rifle.There are point restrictions in Co,none in Wy or Mt.Some parts of Mt are branch antler bulls only but not point restrictions.You still have time to run out and do a 3rd season rifle elk hunt in Co
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
You just missed the deadline for buying a point in Wy.
Just looked at Wy game page and they have pref points available online up til Nov 2nd.

Thank God I'm an American, and not a democrat!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

then I highly recommend u get a wy point
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:43 PM

LOL, that's unlikely. At age 67, and with a disdain for horses, and having done the CO backpack trip, my window of opportunity for an elk hunt is rapidly closing.

Thank God I'm an American, and not a democrat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page