Hanging Deer ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Hanging Deer ?

I'm looking to get a refrigerator to hang a quartered deer or possibly two deer in. What size in cu. ft. do you think I'll need? I am just looking for a basic one with freezer on top.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Hanging Deer ?

I basically use my fridge to "hang" or age my deer I get....but I don't hang it for real, it goes in plastic shopping bags left open on a towel on the bottom of my fridge....then I leave it there for bout 5 days, that's when I start on the smaller chunks of meat from the neck and shoulders....they get cut into 1/2" cubes for stew and stir-fri....then i'll wait till next day to start another bag with the back straps and hind quarters to get cut into steaks, any scrap from them get the 1/2" cube treatment and frozen....the hind quarters get all the muscles separated into there own then cut into steaks after any silver skin is removed....so after bout a week in the fridge my venison is now in the freezer....just like left hanging for a week, but I don't get any waste from drying out like handing a whole deer....

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:56 PM

You can fit two quartered deer in a standard 20-22 cubic foot fridge pretty easily. I use meat lugs and just lay the quarters in them. I can fit one deer in each lug usually....and stack two lugs in the fridge.

If I was buying a fridge just for this I'd just get the cheapest thing available with wire racks for drainage.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:05 PM

I'm thinking to just get a 120qt cooler to store quartered deer in instead. Can use it for other purposes and hunting trips.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks Guys, JasonN I always thought it was better to hang them so they drain, but I really don't know. If I don't need to hang the meat then your way would be real easy to get two deer at a time I would think.

TPlank, I have a 160 qt cooler now, but I don't want to have to deal with ice and temperature regulation. I am looking to keep a constant temp between 36 & 40 degrees. I also started making my own sausage and other processed venison and could use the extra fridge space for that.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 AM
The Man

I thought this was going to be the annual thread on whether you should hang a deer head up or head down.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Part of the Community

Head down

There's no place like home
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM

why hang em? shooting is more humane

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM

I'd prefer to hang them, honestly. The standard fridge isn't really that great for it though. If you insist on them hanging you can pull the shelves out and fab up something easy with hooks to hang the quarters from. Just three boards or panels....two sides, one top and some hooks. Build it to suit your fridge so it sits on the bottom and you're all set.

I haven't noticed any meat quality difference whether they were laying in the fridge, laying in a lug in the fridge or hanging(outside). The biggest difference I've noticed from aging is peeling silverskin off is sooooo much easier after 4+ days in the fridge.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 PM

I don't know if the fridges structure between the freezer and fridge is suitable for simply drilling holes and mounting hooks directly. It 'might' be, but I simply don't know. There could be wiring or something in there as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page