Hunting SGL141 or 106 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hunting SGL141 or 106

HI, does anyone hunt SGL 106 or 141? if so is it crowded opening week of rifle for deer? any suggestions for spots nearby? always hunted the big woods in potter county but have to stay closer to home now. any help would be appreciated.

blueliner55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Hunting SGL141 or 106

106 gets hammered on the Eckville side, not as bad later in the week but Monday, Tuesday and Saturdays expect company. On the Mt. side if you get high enough up you will run into guys from the firetower and Hamburg resivour. Hawk Mt property used to be no hunting but not sure what the story is today. (they used to give permits to some of the camps). Never hunted deer from the Schuykill side or the state forest side - I do know from others the firetower lot gets pretty full too. The deer are pretty scarce too, you will see more on the drive in or out than you will see on the GL.

If you go print the map - twice while bowhunting up there we've had "hikers" come into the lot at dusk only to realize they weren't where they thought(yes we hauled their butts to the right spot LOL)

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks Ice, just looking for a spot to take the old man out and see some deer. maybe even get a shot

blueliner55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Part of the Community

spent a lot of time on 106 and the state forest. we own a place on 895 that we rent out now, but used to live in for about 5 years. I shot a real nice 6 back there about 6 years ago. If you're not afraid to walk, you can get into some real nice deer. They are pretty scarce, but I've seen some real whoppers. The firetower does get a lot of pressure, but mostly right along the road, and only for the first half-mile. Do yourself a favor and buy a bear tag, there are plenty of them back there as well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'd suggest sgl 40 or the northern part of hickory run park.In those places if you walk in a ways you'll be alone.Not a ton of deer though anymore.Nice hotel to stay at right at rt80 and the turnpike junction.If that's something that interests you,send me a pm and I'll give you a place to go hunt in there
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:03 AM
The Man

The giving of spots on a game lands is negligible. Because for many to give a spot would be to give up the location of their favorite and usually lone spot.
And it probably took much more than one visit to find it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:29 AM

I used to hunt 106, coming in from the Port Clinton side and going up towards the firetower or the gated road that wound down towards the Hamburg reservoir. The years and pressure and concurrent seasons put a big dent in the herd and the turkey.
If your going up to 141 May as well hit the SGL on 940 east of 534. Not a awful hike, big area and after Wednesday of opening week you might not see another hunter. Has well defined paths so it's not easy to get real lost.
Like mentioned earlier there are several hotels right at the turnpike and 940 and places to eat.
If you need more information let me know. Good Luck

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

i appreciate everyone's input. in looking at some maps, it appears i was way off with 106 as i won't be near that area. anyone have any experience with SGL 168?

blueliner55
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

mus42tang,I have no problem helping a guy out.I have a lot of spots to hunt that I can share a few.If he wants a spot with good chance at success I'll be happy to help him.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

anyone have any input on hunting pressure in sgl 141 near bear creek lake? not looking for any particular spots, just curious to the amount of hunters I might run into

blueliner55

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page