Doe tags: do I need a hunting license to apply? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Doe tags: do I need a hunting license to apply?

I have done some searching and can't seem to find the answer to this. As a non-resident, do I need to buy a general hunting license to apply for a doe tag? All of my PA buddies buy their hunting licenses right away because they are going to use them anyway, so they have no clue if you can or can't apply for a doe tag without one.

We're putting in for 5D and they are mailing the apps in on Monday (mine included), so I need to figure this out quickly. Thanks for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 03:06 AM

Re: Doe tags: do I need a hunting license to apply?

99% sure you can't...

You need your CID # to apply...technically it doesn't change the from year to year but without a valid license I don't think you can get a doe tag...but I ain't one of them guys that can quote the section stating such...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 03:17 AM
The Man

I agree with Mauser in that you have to have a hunting license before you can apply.

I have a buddy who lives in California. He tried to go online to buy a DMAP without having a license yet. He wasn't positive he'd make it here for hunting season but wanted the DMAP in case he did get here. It would not let him buy the DMAp without having first bought the regular license. I know a DMAP is a bit different that a doe license, but you still need the license.

You don't need that license in hand. If it's bought online so you have it, then you can still apply, even if you don't physically possess it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Ah, I should've mentioned that point. Part of what's confused me is that I *do* have a CID from hunting furbearers last year and buying a fishing license, too. So, while I do have the number, I don't yet have a valid non-res hunting license...yet. The backup plan was to buy one if in fact I need it to prevent a bounced application, buy I didn't want to shell out $100 extra that I won't likely use unless I have to.

Thanks for the responses though, guys. It looks like I may have to fork out the $100 to hunt, but I can live with that.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes you have to have a general licence prior to buying add on tags
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM
The Man

The way I see it, it makes a lot of sense to have a current year hunting license in order to apply for an antlerless tag. That way our friends from the "non-hunting" community can't buy up a bunch of antlerless tags without purchasing their license, too.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm
Yes you have to have a general licence prior to buying add on tags
... because when you get the general license you also get the antlerless application. No other way to get it. There's a card in the digest for an extra tag, but you can't use that without a CID and a current year license.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:36 PM

I believe the doe license or permit is just that, allows you to shoot a doe. The general hunting license is what gives the hunting privilege. The doe license is a add on.

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"... because when you get the general license you also get the antlerless application. No other way to get it".

Not true. I don't use the yellow one that comes with the general license. I printed mine from the online digest. And there is a direct link to a PDF copy on the PGC antlerless link.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Good info, guys. I had to ask because I have hunted in quite a few states and it just varies so wildly. In Tennessee, your regular hunting license lets you hunt deer, turkey and upland/small game. No tags required at all. In Montana, I got drawn for an antelope tag this season and don't need anything else to hunt them. Nevada requires you to buy a hunting license before you can even put in for their main big game drawing.

The irony off all of this is that I grew up in Pennsylvania - lived there continuously until I was 23 year old - and never hunted there until a fox hunt just last year.

In short, I'm going to hurry up and get online to buy my PA general hunting license before they mail this thing in. Thanks for all of your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page