Adirondack mountains hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Adirondack mountains hunting

Looks like my yearly elk trip isn't going to happen this year. I've been going almost every year in the past 10-12 years. That's painful.....

So, I'm looking at options for a bit of back country hunting. I hunted the 'Dacks back in the mid 1980's for their early bear season. We weren't successful but loved the experience.

I'm looking at going again for deer during the first week of November. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm most interested in types of areas where you found deer.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adirondack mountains hunting

I hunted in the Dacks a few times in High School and early college. My cousin had family that lived in Remsen NY.

It is tough hunting, but it can be done. Missed a beautiful buck up that way.

We hunted around Indian Lake a couple of times, and we hunted in the Remsen area as well.

It's tough hunting, but if you are able to find them, you have a chance at some truly magnificent bucks.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Hunted up there quite a bit while stationed at Griffiss AFB. Hunted grouse near Steuben (not too far from Remsen). I hunted deer mostly in the McKeever area, and a few times north of Old Forge. This was in the mid-late 80s and early 90s. Deer were few and far between, but as said, always had a good chance of seeing a slammer. In 1991 I saw the biggest buck I've seen while hunting to this day. He was less than 75 yds from me, but I never got a shot. Ended up spending the rest of the next two days following him (1 1/2 actually. The other 1/2 day was trying to figure out where I was!). Got close a few times but never laid eyes on him again.
Lots of big country up there, and lots of fun to get into. Would love to start hunting there again.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Sage

Hunted Long Lake area best was 7 miles up the Lake by boat. We would leave election day night and hunt for a week from tent/Adirondack Lean -to. Had some snow at times, once had to leave two days early as Lake was freezing over and we had to get the boats out. Some deer not a lot but some wonderful trips nonethe less.

Map and compass work all the way up there...no roads just the Northville-LakePlacid trail. Start of the HighPeaks region and home territory of the last hermit of the Adirondacks, Noah Rondeau .

wmu 3A
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Regular Visitor

I have hunted up there every year for nearly 20 years now, the northern portion between saranac and malone. As Mikey Mike Jr said - its is very tough hunting. Most times you are lucky to even see a deer. But the ability to pretty much go where your feet take you is nice, and the fact that bear, grouse and hare season is open at the same time is pretty neat.

hunt recent cut over areas and pray for snow, if you are sitting - find producing beech trees.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM
The Man

I've been thinking pretty hard of hunting that area. Is it legal to carry an over/under combo rifle with a centerfire round on top for the deer or bear and a shotgun on the bottom for the hard/grouse?

I have heard many say that see more bear than deer. Don't know if that's true or not.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

My understanding is that it is not legal to do so.

If I remember correctly, and I haven't hunted NY in a few years, so it could have changed, but you cannot have anything other than a single projectile type ammo while you are deer hunting...

I would take that to mean that you can't carry field shot for the incidental grouse either.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Regular Visitor

There's nothing in the regulations that prohibits it. I sometimes hunt with a savage 24 in 30-30/20 gauge when up there during deer season, particularly when the grouse numbers are up.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Sage

I'm not seeing anything in the regulations that would prohibit the use however a call to NY DEC inquiring would be the safest bet.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/regulations.html

wmu 3A
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

That "rule" that I thought was the rule could've just been something I was told as a kid, but didn't look up.

However, I believe I remember asking a friend of my fathers, who was WCO in Chautauqua County NY if I could hunt squirrels while deer hunting, and he told me that I could not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page