Glass for CZ .300wm UHR for Elk / Deer / Bear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Glass for CZ .300wm UHR for Elk / Deer / Bear

Fellas,

I finally booked my first guided hunt for elk in Montana for fall of 2016, which I am using as an excuse to put together a higher end, mid-longe range rifle.

I have ordered a cz ultimate hunting rifle in .300wm, and am now deciding on optics. I have not done much long range shooting or hunting. I currently shoot a Remington 700bdl in 30-06 w a leupold vari x II 3-9x40, rarely getting shots over 100yds.

I was interested in scopes with the bullet drop compensator or BDC, but am open to options. Would like to get comfortable shooting accurately out to 400 yards with a decent rest.

I plan on shooting 200 grain bullets, not sure what brand I'm gonna sight in with yet, I don't handload.

The two scopes I was seriously considering are

1. Zeiss conquest HD 3-15 x 44 with rz600 recticle
2 Leupold vari-x 6 3-18x44 with firedog recticle

Was also considering looking towards both models in 50mm.

Heavily leaning towards the Zeiss

Has anyone had any experience with these scopes, or recommendations they would make in the same price class?

Thanks for the help guys! All comments and suggestions welcome, gonna be waiting on this rifle for 45-60 days.

I feel the hard part is going to be finding a range where I can join/drop in to practice shooting the ranges I need to....

Dan

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Re: Glass for CZ .300wm UHR for Elk / Deer / Bear

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 on my 30.06 and love it. The 50 mm is great for low light conditions. On my 300 win mag that I use for elk I have a 4x16x44 Tasco World Class. While not a high end scope, and I don't baby it, it's done the job 7 times. My gun shoots 180 grains the best.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

Can't really go wrong with either Leupold or Zeiss.
I don't know that you'll need that high of magnification, but just a personal opinion.
Hunting over here where a lot is done in low light conditions, I've become a big fan of 50 or 56mm objective lenses. Just need to watch out for how high they might sit. I have two 50mm mounted, and was able to use medium mounts on both.

Congrats on your first Montana hunt, and good luck! You'll be hooked

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM

I would give Burris a look as well.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the info! I had someone else recommend Burris, and this scope, the veracity, seems to be a good value around 500, and is a front focal,plane scope, so no matter what power its on, the drop between the BDC dots never changes, which I understand many like, and many say at low levels you can't see the marks.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/v...cope-3-15x50mm

It seems a front focal plane may be the easiest method for me, but I been having a hard time finding other models.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Lots of good choices on scope options. Spend some cash on good Binos & harness as you'll spend many hours looking through them.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was told by the guides to carry a good 10x binocs?

And I'm tryin to get to cabelas to compare some of these models side by side.

Does anyone know of a list of front focal plane scopes?

I may be overthinking this... Lol

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:35 PM

I don't have any of the Zeis scopes but have 2 pairs of their bino's and are top notch as expected. I would recommend getting a 30mm tube on the scope rather than 1" and also the 50MM. I put a couple new scopes on last year and went with the 30mm tube and couldn't believe the difference and any new scopes I buy will be 30mm in the future. My new ones were Vortex Vipes HS 4x16x50's. I love the scopes and have allot of features for the money.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm headed to Wyoming for elk in October, Shooting A Tikka 300WSM topped with a Redfield Revolution. I'm good right now out to 300 yds!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Part of the Community

** Burris. I've had three of their products and haven't been happy at all with them. I'm a Leupold fan.

Higher magnification means there's more wiggle and a need for a solid rest. I'd be more concerned with the unexpected short shot than the long range shot. You'll have time to set up for the long shot. That said you have a 3x9 on an 06, that's a great combo and good for 400 yards. The 300WM is a great cartridge and better for the ranges and animals you'll hunt. I'd look at the Leupold VX III 3.5 x 10. I'll doubt you'll need any greater magnification. There is also their VXL, its a 50mm lens with a hump in it for lower scope mounting. The biggest problem I have with the 500mm is they sit high above the barrel the VXL eliminates that.

There's no place like home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page