diy whitetail out of state - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

diy whitetail out of state

Im looking into going oit of state deer hunting next year. Im really looking into kentucky but also considering missouri and kansas. Kentucky is economical on tags and travel cost. Is kentucky a good choice? The daniel boone national forest is my primary target right now but looking for suggestions or first hand experience from someone whos hunted kentucky. The other states as well for that matter. First trip would be a rifle trip return trip would likely be bow maybe muzzleloader. Thanks in advance fellows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:52 AM

Re: diy whitetail out of state

I think any state you do DIY is a good choice. I suggest to not procrastinate, make reservations, get a license, and go hunting. I'm not speaking to you, but just in general, hunters make this out of state hunting to be rocket science. The first season will have a learning curve, but that's to be expected. The biggest hurdle is just being there so that you can actually make some mistakes, learn what areas hold game and which don't, and experience something new.

I decided I wanted to go elk hunting this year, so I did a little research for Colorado, booked a cabin that's surrounded by national forest in a zone with a high success rate and sent a text out looking for some company (found 3 takers). It sounded crazy to about 20 other guys but how are you supposed to learn without packing a bag and making a few mistakes. Besides, as long as you have good company, it's going to be a good trip!

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The boy and I did a DIY in Ohio two years ago....I agree that there is a learning curve, but being the eternal optimists, we feel that if we went back we could be successful this time. I do find it difficult to go blindly into another state when I have PA tags in my pocket though. Enjoyed the trip, but deer sightings were at a premium......

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM

My son, grandson and I drove to KY for an outfitted hunt on his 250 acres near Cadiz. Bought licenses over the counter at Walmart. The outfitter is Butch McElwain. His wife and son were also very helpful. Connie does put out great meals. We saw tons of turkeys. I shot a 10 pt. drop tine buck. My son and grandson saw smaller deer but nothing worth taking. I would go back; very enjoyable, had a great time. Contact info:

http://www.whitetailcreekoutfitters.net/

benchrest
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM
New Arrival

Beck - I agree with you on out of state hunting - it ain't rocket science. The only catch is that year 1 is a learning year. I've hunted diy in KY, AL, OH, NY, CO, TN. There is alot of pre-work to do but that is part of the fun. A good topo map and Google Earth are your friends. I also call the state DOW is also a worthy call. Talk to a biologist and game warden for the area you're interested. Ask 2 different sets of questions. First is for bio. What is food of choice, where to find it in your area, population outlook. For the warden, get a handle on number people, observed kill, other impressions. I also ask both people where they would look for the animal of choice. I look for terrain funnels and relate to what I see on Goggle Earth. It's all very doable. I've managed to kill both deer and elk using those methods on first trips. For my elk trips I also try to coincide a family vacation into the plan. My wife likes to hike so we 'hike' in my elk country. She calls it hiking, I call it scouting. <G>
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

When going out of state what are your guys limits on bucks? No less than a 120-130? As long as its legal? 140? I agree with 1st trip being a learning curve. Thats why my first trip will be with a rifle not only does it extend your range usually but you get first hand experience asessing pressure and finding escape routes.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Regular Visitor

I lived in KY from '98-'01 and hunted a few public land areas. I don't recall specifically if the Daniel Boone NF falls into this category, but many public land rifle hunts for deer are/were through drawing only. Or at least they were back then. I'd really suggest you check into that before you commit to a rifle hunt there. Archery on public lands was open. Don't recall if muzzleloader was or not.

I lived south of Lexington, in Jessamine County. Access was VERY difficult on private land in the bluegrass region, especially for outsiders, although I got access to a couple of properties with some persistence.

We camped a few times in DBNF (never hunted there) and the terrain is rugged and harsh, as is most of eastern KY.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 PM
New Arrival

I would evaluate the size of the buck potential and set a goal of something representative. In many public land areas, that would be a 2.5 year old deer. In the mountains that may be a smallish 6-8 point. In farmland area, that is likely a 14-15" 8 pt. If the area has a decent population of older deer, maybe a 3.5 year old is the goal. Some areas will never grow a 130-140" deer. The midwestern states have potential and a 3.5 year old likely a good goal.

Part of the fun of out-of-state is the adventure and challenge of finding the animal you're after. To me, size is only part of the deal. As a result, I have a bunch of 2.5-3.5 year old deer. None are likely to stimulate a whole lot of envy. But I have a good story to go with each. I have the same collection of bull elk 5-6 pts shot on public land in Colorado as DIY. They aren't huge but are dang respectable for public land CO elk.

Enjoy the hunt.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 PM

go wherever you can spend the most time. the further it is away, the less time you can spend there. that includes scouting trips, which will make your hunting trips far more productive.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 PM
CBB
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck_trt
I think any state you do DIY is a good choice. I suggest to not procrastinate, make reservations, get a license, and go hunting. I'm not speaking to you, but just in general, hunters make this out of state hunting to be rocket science. The first season will have a learning curve, but that's to be expected. The biggest hurdle is just being there so that you can actually make some mistakes, learn what areas hold game and which don't, and experience something new.

I decided I wanted to go elk hunting this year, so I did a little research for Colorado, booked a cabin that's surrounded by national forest in a zone with a high success rate and sent a text out looking for some company (found 3 takers). It sounded crazy to about 20 other guys but how are you supposed to learn without packing a bag and making a few mistakes. Besides, as long as you have good company, it's going to be a good trip!

Good luck! I would like to hear how that works out!
I applied for a preference point this year and plan on heading in 2016 or 17.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page