PA Elk hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PA Elk hunting

has anyone hunted the PA elk here? i could use some info like what management area did you hunt? do you quarter your elk in the field? or do you have some other way to get it out? I know i have slim chance of getting a tag 1st year trying but i have to figure some things out. thanks for your time and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: PA Elk hunting

Hank, welcome! Well, there are guys here who have gotten drawn. And your chances are about as good as getting eaten by a polar bear, in africa while being chased by a big foot who is being chased by a Pennsylvania mountain lion. That being said, our antique of a state has not figured out how to make the draw like 95% resident, makes it open to anyone in the country. Now, that may seem like not a big point but I personally have put in for it since the day it started and the county where I live is -0- fer bull draw. However, the guys that do get drawn either fight it out on public land, or the hire guides for private ground. Getting it out will be a chore and expect plenty of publicity surrounding your kill. Good luck on the draw, and when big foot drops his right, he is usually looking to try and land a left.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This will be year 10 trying for me and so far no luck. My wife's cousin was drawn for a cow tag in zone 10 last season. he was successful and said he had a great time. He went with an outfitter mostly because the outfitters seem to get the best access to prime spots. He said the guy was great (Known on this site as the horse guy) and said that he tried to make it much like a western style hunt but, after hunting for elk out west, he said it much more like a PA deer hunt. I've been told by people that the outfitter fee was so outrageous that a western hunt would be cheaper. My wife's cousin said they are full of crap. He said his cow hunt was very reasonable and after talking to other successful bull hunters he did say you will pay a larger fee for a premium bull but it's a Pennsylvania bull elk, a once in a lifetime trophy.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks you for answering i know i have a better shot at getting a polar bear during PA archery season but i have to start asking since i am putting in for it. I did contact a guide for the elk hunt waiting to here back but like i said i have to figure it out cause if you get lucky you need to be ready.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got all 12 bonus points avail. And I just seen a mountain lion on the way to work in Limerick. Things are looking up for that draw!

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:37 PM

Never thought I'd get drawn once, but I did, so I am trying to get drawn twice for a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. I used a guide service and we brought the animal out whole since it had to go to the check station to be weighed and measured. They wanted the head, but since I had a cow and wanted the skull for a trophy, the biologist let us take it and told us which parts to bring back. My taxidermist son did the surgery and we returned with the desirable samples. I drew in 2009, so I am back up to 6 points for this year's draw - yoo hoo - I'm feelin' it.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:50 PM
New Arrival

G-Daddy,

If you don't mind me asking but how much does an elk guide cost? and do they help you carry it out?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The odds may not be good but someone has to win. I've put in for a bonus point only the last 3 years since I've had other hunts planned. So I guess I've made your odds better!!!!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM

I apply.......I have a chance......I don't apply....I have no chance. For $10.....I'm in.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramic
G-Daddy,

If you don't mind me asking but how much does an elk guide cost? and do they help you carry it out?
If I remember right I paid $1250 for room, board, and guiding for Sunday - Sunday. Plus I was welcome at camp for preseason scouting any time I wanted to come and I did make one trip up about two weeks before the season started. The way I figured it, I could hardly find a room and pay for meals for that for a week. The service got the animal out and skinned and quartered the animal for me. And they were a wonderful group of guys.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page