Transporting firearm/ammo into Canada - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Transporting firearm/ammo into Canada

I'm heading to Canada next week for a bear hunt in Quebec. My question is regarding the storage of our rifles and ammo while crossing the border (we are driving). Our rifles will be transported in hard cases with the bolts removed and cable locks in the action. Can ammo be transported in the same case? Or must it be stored separately for travel? I was hoping some of you guys that have been on a recent trip up there could weigh in. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Transporting firearm/ammo into Canada

Storage, Display and Transportation

In order to bring a firearm to Canada, the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations must be complied with. For non-restricted firearms:

A secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock, should be attached, so the firearms cannot be fired; or
The firearms should be locked in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into.
The ammunition should be stored separately or locked up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.
If left in an unattended vehicle, firearms should be kept in the trunk, or out of sight. The vehicle should be locked.

Steve
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Make sure no one has had a DUI. Its 50/50 if someone with a DUI (especially within the last 5 years) will be turned away and not allowed to enter. It really up to the individual border agent if you are allowed entry or not. Had a friend last year turned away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 AM
Part of the Community

Maybe Canada should be protecting our southern boarder?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I heard a lot about the DUI issue when traveling to Canada. I heard they ask you and that you better be truthful or they might look it up and then you have no shot. We went through a couple years ago and they never asked. I don't know whether they looked it up or not. They scanned our passports. I'm sure they could instantly flag a recent DUI without asking.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM

individual crossings can be vastly different. when we cross into new brunswick, we always cross on I95 at halton, maine and have never had an issue. we have our firearms paper work ready, they look at it, we pay the fee, and down the road we go.

but i know that theres a border crossing right along the coast that is never that easy. guys always get their cars searched, their guns checked, and always get hasseled there. others tell me the get interogated and if they even think theres a problem, you get turned away. the outfitter we hunt with tells all his clients to avoid going thru that crossing.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 05:54 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We went through 1000 Islands and at Niagra Falls. No problems. However, on the way home, at 1000 Islands, the USA guy gave us a hard time. Two issues.

1.) we didn't have a gun registration proving that we bought our rifle in the USA. I had all the proper paperwork (in triplicate) and presented it to the Canadians at Niagra Falls. I went through three rounds of people, they all looked at my paperwork, signed, stamped it, etc.... I presented it to the guy on the USA side at 1000 Islands and he asked for my USA registration. When he asked me how I could prove I didn't buy the gun in Canada, I showed him that I have official papers that are signed, dated and stamped that prove I brought it with me when I came to Canada a week earlier. He said that wasn't good enough.

2.) We never even saw a bear, let alone shoot one. My tags were never filled out and I had no paperwork for shooting a bear, since we never even saw one. He asked me if we shot a bear and I said no. We were given a roast by the outfitter. The guy searched my cooler and found the roast. He asked why I lied to him about not getting a bear. I told him that we did not get a bear. We were given a roast as a gift. Every question he asked me after that was followed on his part by: "why should I believe anything you say when you lied about the bear?".

The guy told us that he would have thrown the book at us if it wasn't "Canada Day" and he was too busy. Not sure how many people leave Canada on Canada Day, but I was glad to get out of there.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 01:24 AM

on our way back, the agent in the booth told us to pull over and to bring in our firearms paperwork and the export papers for the bear. when we went in, another agent took over and quickly helped us with the bear export stuff and never even looked at our gun paperwork. nobody ever came out to look at anything in our vehicle, they just blew us out asap.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wow! You got a real jerk ! We came back on sat. and had no trouble, took about five minutes to fill out paperwork for bear and we were on our way. Never asked for gun papers.Also brought back cedar for inside of our cabin, was questioned about it but was OK since it didn't have the bark on it. As I said you got a real jerk!! Weather wasn't good for bear hunting, at least not where we were ! Saw a good bear the first night but decided to pass because I knew there was a bigger one there and since he wasn't spooked figured he would be back again but the weather turned crappy and didn't see another bear. Better luck next year to you !
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 AM
The Man

What kind of gun paperwork does one need?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page