Info on out of state deer lease prices - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Info on out of state deer lease prices

A complaint about lease fees from a hunter in south Georgia. The lease price went from $12 an acre to $18 an acre.
Of course the hunter had a picture of himself with a $25 an acre, huge 10 point deer. Maybe the owners are adjusting their prices via info gathered from facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 PM

Re: Info on out of state deer lease prices

I've seen an illinois lease go as high as $75 an acre <span style="text-decoration: underline">just for archery</span>, although that was one exceptional piece of ground. ( Our gang hunted it till it got up to $50)

Lease prices in some of the midwestern states seem to have peaked and many locals say they are likely to drop some over the next few years.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Wiz

We are right around $10-$12/acre in middle GA but some counties in south GA are quite a bit more. $18/acre would be a heck of a deal in Macon, Lee, Crisp, Worth, or Crawford counties which produce some big bucks. It would probably be about average for Dougherty, Baker, Mitchell, and counties near Albany. Areas in the Piedmont with less agriculture and smaller racks/bodies tend to be more reasonably priced.

Our prices went up a bit this year and are expected to go up about $1-$2 over the next 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

How big are these leases your paying that for??I just can't get into this leasing game.Wonder what md eastern shore goes for;under radar giants there.I'd consider a sika lease there.Doesnt Georgia have much public ground?If not I guess you have no choice
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden8
How big are these leases your paying that for??I just can't get into this leasing game.Wonder what md eastern shore goes for;under radar giants there.I'd consider a sika lease there.Doesnt Georgia have much public ground?If not I guess you have no choice
GA has a fair amount of public land but its not distributed evenly across the state. Most of the larger tracts are in North Georgia around National Forests whereas public land in south GA can be few and far between depending on where you are. Because of the proximity of Atlanta to the north GA WMAs, public hunting land can be much more crowded than SGL's in PA. However, I have found that after the season is in for 2 weeks, you basically have the entire WMA to yourself.

Unlike PA, the private land hunting in GA and most of the south has been leased for 40+ years. PA has been blessed with an abundance of public land and private land open to public hunting for a long time. This is one of the biggest reasons the leasing game in PA is so appalling to many hunters where those in other states see it as PA catching up to the times.

The lease I am on is 1,600 acres among 27 club members. On a big day, we may have 15 members hunting. This lease is mostly Plum Creek timber company property as most of the private forested land here is owned by a timber company.

I hated the thought of leasing until I realized it was probably the cheapest and safest way to enjoy hunting in this state. I'm not rich by any means but what I pay for the lease I'm on costs about 1/3 of the costs of buying one 6-pack per week of Natty light. I still hunt public land but not until later in the season.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 05:00 AM

I know when I hunted turkeys on the WMA in Fitzgerald Co in Ga around '99-'00 I had the place almost all to myself. I never hunted deer there though, those I hunted on base so I don't know how crowded it was.

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 03:58 PM

there is a web site that handles leases for the property owner and hunter. its base camp leasing and they have some decent prices 5 grand for 434 acres limited to 6 hunters.

that's 11.52 an acre or 834.oo per hunter. the price changes depending on the type and size of property, all wooded versus a mix of field and wood. they had a 108 acre farm/field/crop mix for 600 dollars. I almost grabbed it but they limited the number of hunters to 3 and we have 4 in our group.

they cover most of the U.S.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden8
With Sika, its not the acreage, its the particular spot. 99% of there habitat people can't walk on, so one acre can be better than 1000 acreas.

Some of the leases on this link go over $100/acre.

http://sikastag.com/swap.htm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here in nC it goes for 10-12 an acre
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM
New Arrival

I looked at lease land in Tennessee and northern Alabama. The cheapest runs $5-7/acre, median is ~ $10 in both states. Some are alot higher but I don't even consider it.

As an FYI, I pay $3/ac in PA. I hated the thought of paying to hunt in my home state but I get really, really tired of idiots. I'm paying for solitude more than anything. I love bubba hunters and have killed alot of deer because of their 'efforts'. I draw the line at having them move in on me. The final straw happened 2 years ago. I hunted an area for 25 years in Crawford County. We may have the deer figured out in this area . I've killed a couple nice bucks and have always been secretive about it. I normally shoot one time, dress the deer ASAP, hide the guts, and get out of dodge. I've noticed people getting closer and closer. Last year, I had 2 guys on my right within sight and a third just out of sight on my left. They snuck up through the woods at daylight with a flashlight. They did manage to scare several deer past me in the twilight.

I shot at a dandy buck at noon; turn out I missed. Got down to look for sign and was met at the seen of the shot by one of the guys on my right. He said he heard me shoot and wanted to see what I killed. He asked if I was the guy that shot the 10 pt the year before in that spot. How he knew that I don't know but I played dumb and declined comment. I've had guys walk under my TS even after I flashed my light at them, had guys spend several hours within 100 yards of me on purpose, had guys take up spots on both sides of me - I've had enough of that routine. I have nothing against other guys but if we have several thousand acres, why do you need to be a 100 yards from me? Especially after I've been there since 6 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page