Treestand - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Treestand

Looking for ideas for a 4x6 treestand using 4x4 post. How do you guys anchor to the ground and what materials have you used that have lasted for years?

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Treestand

I built one 4 years ago with 6x6 12 ft in the air. Put them 3 ft in the ground with concrete. Then 2 x braces on each side. ( Built this so I could get more years hunting with my dad who doesn't get around as good anymore )
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:32 PM
The Man

kind of like big cat, I'd go with 6X6 for the legs. more stability and longer life

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I build these the same size all the time and have never had a complaint! original one 14 yrs. ago and it is still in good shape! 4x4s are enough, take 4 pcs. of angle about 20 inches long drill a 1/4 in. hole in one end. drive them down beside the leg like a tent stake and lag them fast. I have never had one blow over that was done like this! If you can't drive stakes because of rocks simply nail 2 2x4s to opposite legs and lay logs across for extra weight, have done this also. Probably someone will have a better idea though! I will gladly give you more info if you need.PM me. Like I said I have been doing this for 14 yrs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 02:29 AM
The Man

Go 4x8 outside diameter. Do not use 4x4 they will twist. I will only use 6x6 stronger and stiffer. Pm I will send you pics I have 3 now. I build steps with 2x12's, floor joists 2x6 1' center for less noise, full sheet of 4x8 treated plywood fits perfect if you have your base figured out correct. I actually made a jig before I went in to woods so it would be square. I augured down around 2' and put concrete in holes. I use 12' 6x6 and have base at 10', I built my stand complete in my garage and was able to haul it over and lift up in place with my bobcat using pallet forks. It was so much easier than doing all that building in the woods. The only thing I have to do now is install windows on site.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Do you use nails or only screws to help hold better over time?

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 AM
The Man

I was previous on a screw kick felt it was better and of course being in the woods it worked good with cordless drill. Screws are expensive you can spend an easy 75.00 in them. My last one I bought a nail gun for other projects too and now use nails. Of course I have a Honda generator along with pancake compressor.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Part of the Community

I have one in the works that is 5'x5' platform with walls and windows with a flat roof and a trap door in the roof and the roof is going to become a treestand in it self figured if it is nice out go up top and if not stay inside. 8' to floor of bottom and top floor at 15'
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:37 PM
The Man

Have a picture of it Ray?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 AM

Google a product called elevators. They are heavy duty steel brackets made to hold up a 2x4 2x6 or whatever joisted floor and accept 4x4 posts. They are angled out and very strong. Nail cross bracing to the 4x4 posts and you'll have no twisting.
Had a 5x6 two man blind with 2'6 joists and 5/4 deck board floor and 5/8 T111 walls on em out in Illinois for 5 years with no issues. Gave up that place and my buddy is in the process of taking it down to put it on another farm. The elevators also make a blind easy to disassemble if it needs to be moved.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page