New US requirement for travel with rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

New US requirement for travel with rifles

Looks like if you are going out of the US with a rifle we have a new requirement as of April 1, for a electronic temp export permit.

https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq
https://www.ice.gov/exec/ice-gov/cpiquiz.htm

Prior to departing the U.S., you MUST verbally declare the items to U.S. Customs and Border Protection and provide confirmation that the electronic export information was submitted into AESDirect.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New US requirement for travel with rifles

The way I read it most weapons need permits not just rifles.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I played with the quiz, saying I was going with a shotgun and it said I was exempt.
Export of anything with a rifled barrel is handled by the State Dept, shotguns are Commerce Dept.
What is different now is that it looks like we now need a temp export permit from the State Dept if you travel outside the US with anything having a rifled barrel.
I have two trips planned this year, Canada & Zimbabwe. Canada is coming up quickly. I have my travel agent (who specializes in people traveling with guns & hunting trips) digging into this as I type.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thank you for clarifying. Tough reading (as always).

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is new and apparently replaces the previous standard of using the 4457 Form. The 4457 was never mandatory but was always a good idea and Canada in particular would ask for it on entry at least on border entries. The 4457 had to be stamped by CBP but they didn't record the info, now I assume the sn is going to be recorded.

Quote:
Can I use a CBP Form 4457 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad to declare the temporary export of firearms/ammunition rather than filing the EEI in AESDirect?

No. A CBP Form 4457 is used to register personal items (not professional or commercial articles) of foreign origin before traveling abroad to facilitate duty-free reentry of same articles upon traveler's return. This Certificate may not be used to declare the permanent or temporary export of firearms, ammunition or other defense articles (as defined by the United States Munitions List) which requires the electronic reporting of export information in accordance with 22 C.F.R. 123.22.
Quote:
What is required when traveling internationally with firearms and/or ammunition for personal use in recreational activities such as hunting and shooting sports competitions?

Any removal of firearms and/or ammunition from the U.S. for any period of time is considered an “export” and requires compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. 22 C.F.R. § 123.17 allows U.S. persons to export temporarily from the United States without a license not more than three (3) nonautomatic/semi-automatic firearms in Category I(a) of the United States Munitions List (rifles and pistols up to .50 caliber ) and not more than 1,000 cartridges therefor, provided that:
1.The person declares the articles to a CBP officer upon each departure from the United States, presents the Internal Transaction Number (ITN) from submission of the Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Export System (AES) per 22 C.F.R. § 123.22, and the articles are presented to the CBP officer for inspection;
2.The firearms and accompanying ammunition to be exported is with the individual's baggage or effects, whether accompanied or unaccompanied (i.e. checked baggage), but not mailed; and
3.The firearms and accompanying ammunition must be for that person's exclusive use and not for reexport, sale, gift, or other transfer of ownership. The person must declare that it is his/her intention to return the article(s) on each return to the United States.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The question I would ask with this is what is in place to comply. Normally you go to the ticket counter and declare your gun to the airline counter rep. They will ensure your/its paperwork is in order for connections and destination, maybe just insert the declaration card, confirm ammo is separate from weapon, maybe have LE inspect, maybe attach paperwork to outside of case, whatever. From there it goes to TSA inspection and it is gone. What, when, where, how, is in place that you/it even goes thru CBP.

Your departure point may not even have CBP.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Call/write your congressman now, just finished with mine

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:57 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here. I took their quizz, with less than 3 guns, all rifles, and less than 1000 rounds, it stated no permit would be needed. I don't see where anything changes , going to Canada each fall for moose.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Look again.
From the web site, you will not need a export license but you still must file a "electronic export information" into the AES system.
Good luck, I spent spent some time today trying to register on the AES system & the site kept timing out on me. In addition if you are flying out from a airport with out a CBP office you will no longer be able to check your bags to the final destination. Looks to me that you will have to claim your bags, show CBP the guns & paperwork & recheck your bags.
This is all supposed to take effect April 3 of this year.

With less than three firearms or 1,000 rounds of ammunition there is a license exemption available.

Anyone who falls into this category MUST file the electronic export information in AESDirect.

Prior to departing the U.S., you MUST verbally declare the items to U.S. Customs and Border Protection and provide confirmation that the electronic export information was submitted into AESDirect.

Additional information can be found at the U.S. Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls' website.

In addition from the ICE website below. The problem is many countries will not issue you the import permit until after they have inspected the gun. This has been the case for me in AU, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Sweden, Canada, Argentina, France and probably a few more I am not remembering.

"In addition to filing the EEI in AES or AESDirect prior to export, all firearms, ammunition and additional mandatory documentation (e.g., certifications, foreign import permits, proof of AES filing; such as the Internal Transaction Number) must be presented to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authorities for visual inspection at the port of departure from the United States."

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We called this a cluster in the Marine Corps. This government is out of control! I guess our African hunting consultant will have to get us straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page