Cold weather hurting deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cold weather hurting deer

Has anyone else been seeing deer having a hard time making it with this cold weather that we've been having? Come across this doe this morning and it was standing in the middle of the road just staring off into space, looking like a zombie. I pulled my truck over and got out and had to literally push her off the road. Tried calling the PGC but couldn't get through. Hoping that she makes it through the day, but I doubt she will.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Cold weather hurting deer

Deer are pretty hardy critters. I would say that that deer is having more issues then just the cold weather.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:45 PM

Could of been hit earlier by a car. Looks to be a small amount of blood on its lower back leg... Maybe a brain injury???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Not sure, it didn't have any other blood, I was thinking the blood on the leg was from the ice? Not sure though! She was pretty weak on her legs.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Part of the Community

When it is bitter cold outside, a deer's metabolism slows down. This is a defense mechanism that allows the deer to conserve energy. Had that doe ran into the woods, she would have expended energy that she probably didn't have to spare. Deer are sometimes attracted to the roads because the plows use salt on the road and the deer likes to lick the salt. When deer yard up in the winter, they need to be near a fresh water source. Deer needs a drink twice a day. When the lakes and ponds freeze over, about the only thing still running is springs and small creeks.
As with everything in life, some will die, that is inevitable. Several days of bitter cold weather might cause thousands of deer to die this winter, depending upon the snow pack and how thick the crust is on top of the snow. If the deer has a hard time walking - if they keep falling through the icy layer on top of the snow, they will just sometimes stop and stand a while where they are at.
They are known to gnaw the bark off apple trees, eat tree branches, pine tree needles, anything they can put in their mouths to put something into their belly's.
It's very common for them to have some blood near their dewclaws when it is cold and icy like it is this weekend.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail
When it is bitter cold outside, a deer's metabolism slows down. This is a defense mechanism that allows the deer to conserve energy. Had that doe ran into the woods, she would have expended energy that she probably didn't have to spare. Deer are sometimes attracted to the roads because the plows use salt on the road and the deer likes to lick the salt. When deer yard up in the winter, they need to be near a fresh water source. Deer needs a drink twice a day. When the lakes and ponds freeze over, about the only thing still running is springs and small creeks.
As with everything in life, some will die, that is inevitable. Several days of bitter cold weather might cause thousands of deer to die this winter, depending upon the snow pack and how thick the crust is on top of the snow. If the deer has a hard time walking - if they keep falling through the icy layer on top of the snow, they will just sometimes stop and stand a while where they are at.
They are known to gnaw the bark off apple trees, eat tree branches, pine tree needles, anything they can put in their mouths to put something into their belly's.
It's very common for them to have some blood near their dewclaws when it is cold and icy like it is this weekend.
That's a great explanation! Thank you Trail! But something about that doe just didn't seem right, she didn't appear to have any energy left, and I pulled within 5 ft of her with my truck and she didn't even move a muscle or lift her head up at all.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would guess there is something wrong with that deer other then the cold.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But there was no other physical injuries to her other than the little blood on her hind leg. She may have been hit, but I don't know
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big cat
I would guess there is something wrong with that deer other then the cold.
X2. They are less panicky this time of year when their metabolism slows down, but even now, they don't normally let you touch them.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 PM

There is something more than the cold weather having an adverse effect on that deer. It is either sick or injured. It was probably saying on the plowed road because it doesn’t have the physical ability to move through the snow.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page