Bison Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bison Hunting

Has anyone ever taken a bison? I am interested in going for a buffalo with a bow. With drawing odds so tight in the states that offer a hunt, I would consider hunting one of the larger ranches.
Any experiences out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 PM

Re: Bison Hunting

I killed one a few years ago at Twin Pines Ranch, outside Douglas, WY. Pretty historic place, the Pony Express ran through the land the ranch occupies. Not high fence, but there are cattle guards in place, so the buffalo aren't going anywhere outside. I won't go so far as calling it a hunt, it took about an hour of driving around to find the herd, then we set up about 100 yards away and I shot one. Meat was great, and I got a dandy set of horns and a beautiful robe to take home. Looks as if their prices went up, it was $1,000 when I went, and they book FAST, they only take reservations in July & August for the next year. Not a whole lot of service, once you kill one they gut it and put it in your vehicle, then you are on your own. Pretty sure they only want you to shoot them with a rifle. The owners weren't the friendliest people I've ever met, I guess they don't have to be since they don't have trouble selling "hunts". Not sure if I'd go back again, maybe if I was in Wyoming anyway on an antelope or mulie hunt, and wanted to fill the freezer. Did I mention the meat was delicious?

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I almost did several years ago through the Utah conservation tag auction and strongly regret not doing it. Back then I could have got a tag for probably $5K, of course it is variable but since then they have gone for considerably higher. But that would be one option of hunting a truly wild bison, they are spooky in a wild hunted population. The auction is this month and if you are interested I can put you in touch with Wade Lemon and he will bid on the tag for you and also guide the hunt. I think he guides every year for tag winners, his wife won a draw tag the one year and she took a beauty. Wade puts on a quality hunt doing what it takes to be successful. It wouldn't be a cheap option considering the tag cost and his guide fee but it would be a once in a lifetime hunt.
http://wlhunting.com/hunt-the-west/bison/

There are a number of them in here taken with archery.
http://wlhunting.com/photo-gallery/bison-photos/

Another more canned option is P Cross Bar ranch. Marion and Mary run a first class outfit, I've talked to them several times over the years and never heard a complaint about them. Themselves getting quite up in years but still running the business.
http://www.huntinfo.com/p-cross-bar/

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:33 AM
The Man

There are bison on Kodiak Island in Alaska also. Nice combo for a deer, goat or brown bear. I don't think you even need a tag there but am not positive.

Check out Rogue Expeditions website.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Part of the Community

Back in 2003, I hunted on the Catron Ranch in western South Dakota. I shot a younger bull with my .308 rifle. One shot thru butt of the ear from approx. 100 yards dropped the animal in its tracks! Meat was truly outstanding!

TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page