Wild Hogs or Not.???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Wild Hogs or Not.????

I want to see how you guys feel about having a huntable population here in PA we all know it is no long before they are here as fast as they reproduce and migrate lets see what everyone thinks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:47 AM

Re: Wild Hogs or Not.????

I would love to have a huntable population of wild hogs here however the farmers would be very upset if they would establish themselves here. Talk about crop damage!!!

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTigerTrout
I would love to have a huntable population of wild hogs here however the farmers would be very upset if they would establish themselves here. Talk about crop damage!!!
Any more what farmers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 AM

stock a few buckets by my place.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wonder if the farmers would support Sunday hunting then....
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chunter
I wonder if the farmers would support Sunday hunting then....
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Having hunted them in South Carolina and Texas I would love to see a huntable population here. They are a blast to hunt and awesome table fare. Not to sure many feel like I do.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

I hunt wild hogs on a regular basis here, and agree that they are fun and challenging to hunt. In fact, I'm probably going tonight and tomorrow.
But, I do not think that PA is suited to sustain a large population. Mainly because they are very difficult to control. Even with a year round season and no bag limits, it is very difficult to manage the population here. They are prolific breeders, and can destroy habitat quickly. One group of pigs can destroy many acres of crops in one night of feeding, and they do. Even open fields and meadows in the forests get destroyed.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodakhunter
I want to see how you guys feel about having a huntable population here in PA we all know it is no long before they are here as fast as they reproduce and migrate lets see what everyone thinks
Well, I see your new here and have not dug into all of the posts listed on here. But to let you know there are huntable populations of wild hogs already here. There are several posts along with pictures of wild hogs they have been harvesting in Bedford County for several years now. One was taken during bow season not far from my house. If you you're just going to sit on a stand and wait for one to walk by you're sadly mistaken. You have to hunt them like bears. Using drives and lots of hunters pushing out the thickest cover you can find because they are almost entirely nocturnal.

Just do a search of the site and you'll find the hog posts.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodakhunter
Well, I see your new here and have not dug into all of the posts listed on here. But to let you know there are huntable populations of wild hogs already here. There are several posts along with pictures of wild hogs they have been harvesting in Bedford County for several years now. One was taken during bow season not far from my house. If you you're just going to sit on a stand and wait for one to walk by you're sadly mistaken. You have to hunt them like bears. Using drives and lots of hunters pushing out the thickest cover you can find because they are almost entirely nocturnal.

Just do a search of the site and you'll find the hog posts.
I did research before before posting this there are approx 3000 hogs in 5 of the 67 counties in PA per PA dept of AG and they are saying that hunters are making the populations worse because they are hunting where they are being trapped and pushing them out farther I would not consider this a huntable population in the entire state and that is what the posting is for not just a few isolated hot spot areas if you can understand what I am talking now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page