Colorado GMU 54 Information - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Colorado GMU 54 Information

All,
I'm in the beginning stages of planning for my first elk hunt. My dad and I will be attempting a 2015 GMU rifle (2nd season) elk hunt, hopefully. Both of us are in good condition, we do a lot of trail running and are not strangers to backpacking. We would like to pack back in a few miles to escape the crowds and hunt from there. We plan on getting out there a few days early to get acclimated and do a few day hikes to find some promising sign.

If anyone has information or tips they'd like to share we are more than willing to listen. I understand if you don't want to post your "honey holes" on the web. I'm not opposed to sending private messages though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:31 AM

Re: Colorado GMU 54 Information

4 of us hunted 54 in 2012, beginning of archery, for two weeks. Backpack DIY back 5-6 miles in the first week. In the same area were some guys from MO that used horses to pack in. I was the only new guy in the buck. Everyone else had hunted 54 for a few years previous with some success. After 4 days of no one see anything, we all packed out to relocate to another area of 54. Elk sightings were very, very slim.

On a positive note, I did draw a PA Cow tag while out there, lol.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I suggest you both buy points this year and next then get an awesome 1st rifle season hunt.I would never recommend 54 to anyone.Do some research and find a better unit!!!!Co website has all the data for your research.They go unit by unit with success rates,population, amount of hunters ect...A little research is fun and will make your trip WAY better.I highly suggest you forget 54 though if your there to kill elk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the input.

Congrats on your PA elk tag.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with jayden8. Plus doing the research is fun too.

BobB
WMU2F
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:50 PM
New Arrival

Today is jeffw's birthday!

in 2013, three of us spent 18 days hunting in unit 54. in 18 days of hunting,we saw 3 cows and 1 bull always across the road in a different unit. I personally averaged 11.2 mile travels per day with one day an 18 mile walk. we came home with empty coolers. I would not recommend choosing this area for elk. this is a great area for mule deer and bear.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:00 PM

From what I have heard, 54 has become a draw with no OTC tags. We went when OTC were available.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 PM
New Arrival

Hunted the West Elk Wilderness area in GMU 54 five or six years back in the 90's. Success in rifle, muzzleloader and archery season in our group. Always saw elk but that was quite a few years ago. We would lease horses and pack in from the Ohio Creek Trailhead and set up camp around the base of Castle Pass.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM

36, we used to do the same and camp in the same area! Used to see few other hunters and usually afew in the group would score on a bull. Then all the sudden it became very crowded and success went way down! We heard that Zumbo or some other outdoor writer had published an article in one of the hunting mags about how good that area was! Now even archery tags are draw and deer was closed for several years due to winter kill.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt unit 43 and 42 most years (30+ miles north of unit 54) during archery and rifle seasons, and some years we see no elk in a week of hunting hard, others we tag out the first morning on bulls. While the herd in 54 might be diminished, elk travel far and they could be there or not, so plan on walking a lot and you can find them. Generally, the further you are from a road or public access point, the better off you'll be, but make sure to look for overlooked places that might be ignored by many.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page