Pa deer population - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
yar
Part of the Community

Pa deer population

Is it me or does it seem the guys out there that are not seeing deer all season long in areas where they used to see a decent amount are the same guys who will shoot the first doe they see. I mean whats up with this...hello. Just because a liesence is issued to fund a goverment agency that is running scared its loosing its customer base at alarming rate does it mean it ok to shot every doe. When will we as hunters in Pa take control of the population and let the doe walk. Wake up ! IT WILL NOT GET BETTER AS LONG AS REVENUE IS THE MAIN GOAL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 AM

Re: Pa deer population

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
yar
Part of the Community

It went downhill The day that concurrent buck and doe season started and its been downhill ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
yar
Part of the Community

Im 50 been hunting every season since I was 12, every corner of the state, private , public. I get a buck every year. I hunt hard.I hike miles into the wood and I see deer. But i am alarmed at whats happening to are deer population and it effect on future hunters. We need to cut the crap and let the population build back up. Money trumps everything and the need for short term funding trumps the concerns for the future. Very Sad.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 AM

Or hunters need to learn to adjust. The ones that have learned how are still successful.

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
yar
Part of the Community

Think back to when we were kids. Dad would take you hunting you would see deer , you would be out there in the bitter cold because you knew the deer were out there. Now take a kid out and tell him you might see a deer this season if your lucky or if you fortinate enough to have a good property, public land forget about it.

BOTTOM LINE IS HUNTING AS A SPORT IN PA WILL NOT SUBSTAIN ITSELF ON ARE CURRENT COURSE. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND EXAMINE YOUR OWN BEHAVIOR AND DEMAND CHANGE FROM YOUR LEGISLATORS.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am comfortable saying deer numbers where I hunt are the closest to the late 90s herd as they have been.

Also comfortable saying current hunter effort is the weakest it has been.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am quite happy with deer population in this state and I hunt public land. The population is not what it used to be but our forests could not support that population and be healthy. I continue to see great forest regeneration which is key to the future of our forests and the herd. Hunting has changed though and most have not adjusted...gone are the days of sitting and hunting the big open woods...you gotta find the habitat and it is usually in the thick stuff. Many had spots that were successful years ago only to find with the reduced herd numbers the deer do not run by that spot anymore... The deer are still in the area they now have the opportunity to grow more mature and use different routes however I hear constantly from the guys who have failed to adapt that there are no deer. Well when I hunt a few hundred yards away and see 15 deer and two legal Bucks the deer are there it is just the hunter is not what he thought he was.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

I see plenty of deer on public land, state and national forest!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yar
Im 50 been hunting every season since I was 12, every corner of the state, private , public. I get a buck every year. I hunt hard.I hike miles into the wood and I see deer. But i am alarmed at whats happening to are deer population and it effect on future hunters. We need to cut the crap and let the population build back up. Money trumps everything and the need for short term funding trumps the concerns for the future. Very Sad.
Less hunters, less mobile hunters, less pressure equals less deer seen. If I let the population grow anymore where I live I would need to fence every field my orchard and the garden or get worse crop damage than I do now!!! Even at the cabin in state forest, yes there are less deer seen, but that's not what my trail cameras tell me, more buck and better quality, not like anybody hunting much out there anyhow so who's gonna overharvest them? It will never be 1990 again, not for most areas, and if it was all about the money they would have increased the fee I'm sure.....

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page