The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Amazing

4K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Bluefish024 
#1 ·
Couple weeks ago I posted "How many rounds" guys carry in late muzzy season.Most replys were in the area of 3-5 rounds.I find it amazing that guys that hunt with a scoped rifle will carry a box(20rds) and muzzleloader hunters carry so few.
Thought rifles were "more accurate" than muzzleloaders?

See less See more
#3 ·
For me I might get a second or third shot at a deer with my rifle after the first one . With the flintlock, usually one shot is all they hang around for in my case. I carry 5 shots now for my flintlock, 20 for my rifle, I don't think I have ever fired more than 4 shots in one day rifle hunting though.

#4 ·
That's a good point. From my perspective I think it's because when your flintlock hunting there is a tendancy to get closer to the animal and maybe be a bit more tuned into taking a shot that is at an animal that is standing still. Kind of like archery. Wait for the deer to be broadside and at a range where you know your going to score. Then again, there is the reloading difference between powder/patch/ball and just cranking in another cased round. Just a few thoughts.

#6 ·
GobbleBuck said:
If i cant kill em after four im going home anyway...lol
I have a shell wallet that hold 12 rounds, but if I had to fire 5 shots at a deer, I'd stop hunting and head to the range to check things out. I feel the same about my flintlock.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.