The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Goldenrods

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Waynzee 
#1 ·
I’ve been thinking about moving my rifle stand lately. My options are either stay where I am at in the woods on a flat above a valley, OR, relocate to the top of the hill where a 1.5-2 acre goldenrod field is. No one rifle hunts the goldenrod field I have permission for but I don’t know what to expect. Anyone have decent luck over fields of goldenrods? I’ve killed a few decent bucks and many doe on the flat in the woods but the big boys I have on trail camera always seem to evade my camp in rifle season...and bow season for that matter. Thanks!

#7 ·
I've had pretty good success in archery setting up on the edge of a goldenrod field/woods transition. If there is a hot doe, many times the buck will try to get her out in the golden rod so he can keep a good field of vision and smell of her and competition. In rifle, it's great to stalk through right after or during a rain. Set your stand based on prevailing wind, and on the edge of the woods.

#9 ·
Years ago we hunted a farm with a field of golden rod, this one day we put a drive on and my Dad was on stand, we drove the deer out towards the GR field so my Dad could get a shot I watched this one buck and a few doe run out in the field but never heard a shot. I circled around to where my Dad was and asked why he didn't shoot the buck, said he didn't see no buck. I went back around the GR field through the woods and walked straight through the field where I seen the deer go and I wasn't 10 yards in when that buck jumped up and my Dad shot him. Yeah deer like to hide even when pushed in them GR fields. Didn't mean to go on like that but OP brought back a good memory.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.