Public asked to report northern goshawk sightings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Exclamation Public asked to report northern goshawk sightings

Release # 38-20

With declining populations and a contracted range, northern goshawks have become rarer sights in Pennsylvania. But those who are lucky enough to catch a glimpse of this magnificent forest raptor, or who know where they nest, are asked to report their observations as part of a collaborative project involving the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

The northern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) is a large raptor nesting in mature, mixed forests across northern Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Wildlife Action Plan identifies the goshawk as a Species of Greatest Conservation Need wildlife with low or declining populations that are in need of conservation action and highlights the need for information on the abundance and distribution of breeding goshawks across the state.

Since 2017, the Pennsylvania Goshawk Project (run by a subcommittee of the Ornithological Technical Committee of the Pennsylvania Biological Survey in collaboration with the Pennsylvania Game Commission) has collected reports of goshawk sightings in the state.

The Pennsylvania Goshawk Project continues to seek information related to sightings. Any goshawk observations should be sent to [email protected]. Reports are confidential to protect the birds.

Your assistance with finding goshawk territories and nests helps with our research and conservation efforts to protect this species and its habitat.

For more information about the Pennsylvania Goshawk Project, visit goshawk | Pennsylvania Biological Survey. You can find images and audio files to aid identification as well as forms, instructions, and contact information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 PM

It seems that the same great horned owls that kill our turkeys and rabbits and other game are also preying on these hawks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 02:57 PM

Isn't the goshawk the one that is the big threat to grouse?
outofstater likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:45 PM

Yes, so are owls, and cooper hawks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
A few years ago when I started wildlife photography had a bad experience with one. I had a grouse on my property I considered like a pet. For 2 months I could find him and walk him around to better locations or better back ground shots. Even had my mentor teacher with me and could not believe this grouse. This man in Pa. is considered Mr. Grouse and woodcock, he told me to enjoy this adventure it might not last long of how grouse are subject to raptors. One day we was shooting him with the Nikon's a goshawk dove in and came close to getting ole Ruff. I went back 2 days later and never seen him again. My guess is mr hawk got him. I felt lucky to have over 7k pics of him in that 2 month time. Guess what im trying to say is I have no sympathy for the hawks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 06:55 AM
The Man

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, so are owls, and cooper hawks.
And I enjoy seeing them all. Both are very skillful at what they do. Life in the grouse woods wouldnt be the same if we eliminate one part of nature. And without predators, grouse wouldnt be the same wary game bird, difficult to kill and a prize when you get to hold one in your hands.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page