The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Property lines app for iPhone

4K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  BMAN 
#1 ·
Does anyone use a property lines map app for iPhone when they hunt? I hunt all on private land upstate and our borders are hard to tell exactly with plat maps but I have seen people use some kind of app that runs on GPS via smartphone. I’m willing to pay for it so I can at least know for sure and remember where the lines are. Thanks!

#7 ·
I use GAIA GPS. Not sure why I chose it but like it. They have a free and paid version. The paid versions allow you to overlay maps, including land boundaries. I don't have cell service where I hunt to just have to download the map to my phone before hand. Even though you don't have service, your phone GPS still works.

#11 ·
I have OnX and learned that some counties are plotted better than others. I own a piece of property in SW PA and was using it to find my property lines. I found a pin on the corner of my property within 1 foot of where the app said the corner was. Now at my hunting camp in NC PA, its a different story. Some of the properties are not even close to being correct. I think it all depends on how accurate the info is that is provided by county tax office. BTW, I wish I would of purchased OnX sooner. It is a huge step up from using a handheld GPS.

#12 ·
My neighbor used Onyx to figure out his property lines. Had I not came to camp that weekend, I would have a new driveway and perc test done on my property. He was off by over 70 yds. I couldn't figure out why my posted signs were torn down and what all of the different colored ribbons meant. We got a copy of my deed and measured from the neighbor on the other side. She was just surveyed. Came out exactly were I said the line was. He was correct on the other corner. He apologized and bought me new signs.

#13 ·
Yeah I understand, I’m sure they aren’t exact but I do have a plat map from a long time ago and the shapes match up. I had previously measured those as best as possible with google earth and suspected that the one property was larger than I thought, and this confirms my exact notions about that land. I’m only using it as a rough guide and it does match up with the plat map lines I have.

#14 ·
I use Huntstand and from time to time they run specials for the paid version for the year usually on Black Friday or Cyber Monday after Thanksgiving. I paid 17 dollars for the year and that gives you unlimited number of states.

#16 ·
I use OnX. I started out using the free version of Hunt Stand for a few years. I like the GPS features of OnX better but I am now using the subscription version which is $30 for the year.

#21 ·
As some folks are finding out, these apps are only as good as the information from the county. Most of the info. is good, but don't rely on the app. solely. If there is a discrepancy, assume your app is wrong. The only way to solve (for sure) is with a surveyor. There has been a lot of chicanery involving property lines over the decades.

#22 ·
FWIW I just subscribed to the OnX app. In checking my own property lines against it, it was fairly accurate (+ or - 10 feet). I will mostly use it for unfamiliar areas or for areas where property lines aren’t real clear, not to hunt the boundary line, but more as a guide to stay on the right side of the line.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.