The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

There were changes to proposed seasons

18K views 222 replies 52 participants last post by  Lackawanna Fox 
#1 ·
I listened to the meeting this morning and they changed some proposals for the upcoming seasons. Concurrent rifle deer season did NOT pass. Concurrent seasons in special regulation areas and some of the CWD wmu’s. They added a week to archery deer, added another week in November.

#3 ·
I am disappointed they tabled the e-bike proposal.

I was all set to buy one to use this spring gobbler season. My current mountain bike is about worn out but I don't want to buy another regular bike if they are going to pass the proposal that makes the e-bike legal in a few months. I don't know if I can limp my mountain bike through another spring gobbler season. Nor, do I want to put a couple hundred dollars in a worn out bike to limp it through another gobbler season then have to turn around and buy another traditional mountain bike if they don't pass it at the next meeting.

Their decision to table leaves me with a pretty difficult decision to make.

Dick Bodenhorn

#4 ·
Id find it hard to believe the $98 Walmart Roadmaster mountain bike wouldnt be all you would need especially if its only 1 season. Are you doing extreme biking to and from your spot? If not Id just got pick one up assuming your old bike is really that bad of shape

#26 ·
I'm glad they tabled the E-bikes (for now). Until they can get a handle on the illegal riding that takes place now "mostly" by non hunters(ATV's, Dirt Bikes, Horses and Mt Bikes) I don't believe they should add to it..... Yes I know it is against the law and my local officers try to do the best they can, but one or two guys can't be everywhere !

Also not a fan of the "concurrent" season in 5c... it should be limited to the SRA portion only.... or the PGC should make all of 5c SRA and eliminate rifles.

#28 ·
I'm not a GC basher but the Commissioners are blowing it on deer management across the state and we're all going to suffer for it at some point. I get the BOC is politically appointed and they have their coffers to answer to, but the time has come for an overhaul of the entire states deer management practices. Understandably it would be very difficult to micro mange the entire deer herd, but at the very least they need to go back to a county by county assessment process. There are obviously areas of the state that need to be addressed and they do nothing, while at the same time where the populations are in check (or below) they increase opportunity. They need to be held accountable for their logic and explain their reasoning.

#43 ·
It's kinda funny to read this post, cus it's almost identical to hundreds of posts iv'e read here over the years. The only difference is this one actually makes sense cus he's talking about too many deer and all those others were talking about too few.

It is puzzling how we cannot get concurrent seasons, at least in some areas like 1A.

I won't complain about the extra week of archery, but I don't see why we couldn't "share the wealth" with muzzys or rifle hunters?

#38 ·
I am assuming they will be removing the DMAP tags for the DMA areas this year, which is why you saw the increase in tags. If they do remove the DMAPs, it is actually a reduction in tags. 4A had 13,000 DMAPs, give or take and they increased tags by only 9,000. Since it will be concurrent, there is no reason for DMAPs for DMAs now.

#36 ·
said it before. some states start as early as August 15th and go thru January...any legal weapon during that time. a filled tag is a filled tag. those states are doing just fine. the PGC could experiment with this in SRA's or areas with an over abundance of deer as evidenced by those 60 and 70 thousand doe tags in 5B and 5C

#44 ·
Guess I'm going to have to break out the ol bow if I want a deer, Hung it up when they put crossbows in archery season. So now archery is seven weeks, you can hunt with a bow during rifle, if thats right, to make nine weeks, plus January for four weeks to make it 13 weeks of bow hunting. Must be nice to put it to your fellow buddies that like firearms!

#52 ·
Nobody put anything to fellow rifle buddies and if you truly believe what you just said then you are part of the problem. Nobody is making you do anything. You can buy a license, any additional privileges you choose and go out and enjoy them great outdoors. To bad you gave up archery hunting "when they put crossbows in archery season". oh well your choice and yours alone. Me I am happy for the extra week in November. I will get out and enjoy the time and complain.

#47 ·
FINAL 2020-21 FALCONRY SEASONS SNOWSHOE OR VARYING HARES Sept. 1-March 31, 2021 (1 daily, 3 possession)

Wow that is right through the breeding season. Never really looked at this before. I know the number of guys that do this is small but hitting them during the breeding season is not helping a population that is limited by habitat in the first place. Waugh!

#51 ·
Flintlockers have been royally HAD! By leaving AR's in place during the flintlock season, more buck have been "stocked" into the following years archery season. It's by design. The expansion of archery into a 7th week, has been enabled by flintlock willing to accept less.

I would love to hear the BOC explain why if they could add to the archery seasons 74,000 buck harvest, they cant take the AR's off in flintlock. The jig should be up for the BOC!!!

#54 ·
What flintlockers? What did they loose? Still the same amount of time to shoot a deer. "stocked"? what does that even mean? You can pick a bow up anytime buddy and hunt with the rest of us. Unfortunately you make everything hunting related us against them. Shame on you. Grow up buy your license and go hunting. This is not about anybody getting screwed but about more hunting opportunities. Unfortunately YOUR opinion hurts all hunters in this great state. All over your method and a deer lol.

#55 ·
Sure is about less gun opportunity as we move away from firearms. Not taking anything away just making it less popular. So slow and low key no one notices the shift. Draws hunters from the ranks of gun hunters because of the first best chance. Makes it easy to say guns are no longer needed when that"generation of hunters" is only a small voice. Careful for what you ask for you may just get what they want. Waugh!

#60 ·
With the flintlock week added, the buck harvest stagnated. Archery will take more buck in the 7th week, than flintlock would remove if the AR's were lifted. All we are doing is feeding them through the winter so archery can gain a larger buck harvest the following fall. If they could add a 7th week, there was no reason why flintlock couldn't have removed a few of those buck in January of the same year. Screw job and everyone knows it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.