The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Fish Commission Pulled a fast one Trout Season Opened today

6K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  rogersb 
#1 ·
#15 ·
According to disease researchers at the University of Texas, due to the relatively low rate of testing in most areas, only 1 in 10 cases is identified. A county with 1 confirmed case has a 51% chance that an outbreak is already in progress.

Every county in PA has now joined the party.

#7 ·
The only real option they had. Waiting till corona over wouldn’t work as in Se and SW by end of May without rain or cold temps it’s not condusive to trout survival.
As many people as I’ve seen either at open lakes or streams (and ones not open that we’re being fished illegally) I don’t think it will hurt sales. Let’s just say people have a lot of free time.

#12 ·
Went out the back door, started fishing in the Canal, and saw people having at it! Funny thing is not one guy had any idea it was opened until they were told.

This was avoid the crowd? or help the Commision avoid having a rabid spread of COVID ticketing 200,000 "violators"? Good move either way. (By the way....Trout are biting!)

#23 ·
And to think our whole world wants to rely on these computers for everything. They are frustrating to say the least! Ever try the FAFSA system for higher education? A nightmare that I am glad I never have to deal with again.

#25 ·
I also think this was a brilliant idea by the PFBC! They were stuck between a rock and a hard place,in one of those "------ if we do,------ if we don't" situations. I'm sure there will be a lot of complainers on here,but this will definitely cut down on the April 18th crowds. And to all those who say they are cancelling their plans to go to camp, well,that just proves the plan is working. And this plan is WAY better than postponing until a later date,which would result in a lot of the fish dying off and going to waste when the water starts getting warmer. And No,I'm NOT one of the lucky ones who took advantage of today's opening. I found out while I was at work.
Bob

#29 ·
I realize why they did this, but it seems pretty underhanded to me. I imagine everyone who thought this idea was "BRILLAINT" were all people who could fish today. Those who had to work might not agree. Good luck to the fish commission recouping those preseason license sales they just pi$$ed away.

#39 ·
I realize why they did this, but it seems pretty underhanded to me. I imagine everyone who thought this idea was "BRILLAINT" were all people who could fish today. Those who had to work might not agree. Good luck to the fish commission recouping those preseason license sales they just pi$$ed away.[/QUOTE

Sneaky suckers. Brilliant move. Haven't fished, all my stuff is at camp.

#31 ·
Here's the problem. As I was driving, I could not safely snap a photo.

I went out last night (following proper safe practices) for take out. I digress, but we mostly cook in but still provide business a couple times each week to support our fave places that remain open for take out.

Four guys who had been fishing (or to a costume party wearing fishing vests) and one of their girlfriends standing around the back of a truck having an adult beverage (or root beers in an amber bottle).

Maybe six to eight feet distance for the entire group. Certainly not even close to six feet per person. Not too hard to imagine this being "not uncommon" across the state.

All it takes is just a few cases of one of those people being asymptomatic positive for corona and you're going to have flareups or create a hotspot someplace that has limited local medical capacity.

From places around the world (Hong Kong, S. Korea) it is widely accepted that THE WORST thing you can do is to let up on the social distancing restrictions too soon.

Only a smsll fraction of the population has been tested. Only God can tell you how many people are walking around right now with the virus.

And in the interest of money (license sales, cost of hatcheries) the PFBC made a conscious decision to open that season just DAYS away from the projected peak of the impact to the medical system.

Two week lookahead on weather is cool and lots of showers and rain. Those trout will be fine for a while. No one is saying wait until June or July.

At the height of a worldwide pandemic, PA opened its fishing season when it really did not have to.

#32 ·
Why penalize others for a few idiots. I've been fishing trout a lot lately in other states and now PA. Most people were having fun while practicing social distancing. I did see 3 guys passing a joint between them while fishing. But do you think these idiots are following recommendations when they are not fishing. I'm sure they aren't. My neighbors invited us over for a cook out. We declined but they have had a couple small gatherings. Other neighbors are still letting their kid have a friend come over and play. More rules won't fix stupid.

#34 ·
Do any of you guys complaining about them opening trout season actually trout fish? I was out today on prime heavily fished public land. Maybe 8-10 guys total all spread out. Other then staying in your house by yourself I don't think there could be a safer place then outdoors. I thought they might open the season mid week basically unannounced and I applaud them for doing it. It seems to have worked perfectly and I've trout fished since I was a little kid and I've never caught as many trout as I have the last 2 days.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.