The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Binocular recommendation

4K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  Paddy-06 
#1 ·
Looking to buy decent binoculars at a reasonable price. Looking for recommendations. Thanks.

#14 ·
I believe Hawke Optics are often overlooked by the American consumer. I have several Hawke binos and scopes. Their Endurance ED binos are right in your price range and you will have a tough time finding better glass for $250.

#24 ·
I just bought a pair of Hawke 8x32 binos recently what I like about them is I can look through them with my glasses on no problems. They’re pretty strong for as small as they are, the glass is crystal clear I paid $120 for them

#17 ·
You usually get what you pay for. You can buy a particular binocular and they seem to be great. Compare them to another binocular and you see that yours are not so great.

I recommend that you go to a place like Cabela's and compare binoculars. You may find a cheap pair that meets your needs or you may decide that you should pay the money and get better glass.

Things like sharpness, color intensity and resolution all come into play and the only way to know which binocular is better is to compare them side by side.

#19 ·
You usually get what you pay for. You can buy a particular binocular and they seem to be great. Compare them to another binocular and you see that yours are not so great.
Once you look through a really high end binocular ($2,000+), nothing else ever really looks that great. :sad:

To be clear, I don't own such glass, but realize there is a reason they are so expensive.

#20 ·
I've got a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks and they're good enough for me but they do tend to fall apart. The rubber eye piece parts have fallen off and needed replaced and/or glued back on and the vortex endcap thinger at the end of the hinge has fallen off too. They're customer service is great though. Just call, tell them what you have and what you need and they'll mail it no questions asked. I like quality but I also like to use things hard. These provide decent quality without having to meticulously care for because it wouldn't be a tremendous loss if something we to happen and minor fixes are easy enough. I like Vortex as a company and will probably continue to buy their products because of their warranty service and reasonable prices for good-enough-for-me quality.

#21 ·
It's all about the GLASS. Buy the best you can afford German / European glass can't go wrong.

First off I would look at high end used binoculars that have lifetime warranties.

I have a pair of Kahles 8 x 32 that I bought in 2004 off Ebay and could not be more happier. These binoculars were able to get me my 5 x 5 elk at first light in Montana. I think I paid $400 for them and they have a lifetime warranty. At the time my guide had some cheap Nikons and he could not see the elk. I called the company last year and they sent me out new scope caps for free.

One way you could check what binoculars you want is maybe borrow some from your friend and look across a field at last light and see if you can see maybe 10 yards into the woods. Lower end glass you won't be able to see.

I would also suggest you call camerland for suggestion.

#25 ·
With all the getting away from China made talk lately, this article gives a few points to think over. If you can't find something made in the USA, at least maybe consider buying something not made in China. I have a Maven B3 that I'm happy with. Their C series may be in your price range, but are not assembled in USA like the B series. I believe they are assembled in the Philippines (still, not China). We should all try not to buy made in China.

https://deanoptics.com/best-american-made-binoculars-brands/

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.