The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Would you shoot a dog attacking deer?

20K views 150 replies 64 participants last post by  RyanR 
#1 · (Edited)
ABINGTON, PA — A man shot a dog while it was attacking a deer in Abington Saturday, police said. The shooter is cooperating with the investigation.
The incident occurred at 9 a.m. near the intersection of Bradfield Road and Susquehanna Road in the Roslyn section of the township.
Several bystanders attempted to separate the dog, described only as a "tan mixed breed," from the deer
These attempts were unsuccessful, and at some point, one of the bystanders shot the dog, police said.
The condition of the deer is unknown, but was able to escape after the shot and ran off into Hillside Cemetery.
The dog was taken to the Montgomery County SPCA in Conshohocken, where he is receiving treatment. He is expected to survive, police said.
Police interviewed the shooter, who was nearby when officers arrived at the scene.
An investigation into the incident remains underway. If you have any information, contact Detective Philip Geliebter.

#8 ·
I’d probably kick it or punch the dog first and if that didn’t deter the attack than I would shoot the dog. I am assuming the dog in question was probably a good size dog and may in the future go after smaller dogs.

#10 ·
I don't think so unless the dog had the deer down and the deer couldn't escape or the dog couldn't be separated. I'd want some witnesses.
I had a dog that chased a deer just once. I was able to get between the deers route with the dog following. A large limb stuck him on the head. He learned and never even thought about chasing deer again.

#13 ·
Yes I would and also yes on the cat, I'm the opposite I do not want any witness since it clearly states in the game code only game wardens can dispatch the dog while attacking wildlife (so the chances of that happening are slim). Do whatever you decide to do and remove the carcass or bury it in a hidden spot and you have no idea whatever happened to good old fluffy. And to answer your question I do own dogs and if this would happen to one of mine if he was attacking deer the end result would be the same I will not own a dog that would bit a person or a animal for fun and I would not give it to some one else.

#18 ·
I was out archery hunting one day, and me and a friend were standing by our vehicles about 10:00am or so. We could see thee doe coming (running) thru the field, cross the road and head towards a clump of trees in the field down from us. Then in the field to our left, two dogs (house dogs) barking and running on the same path the deer took were running..then would stop to insure they were still smelling deer. The two dogs (one was really dumb and just followed the "smart" one) then crossed the road and began heading towards the tree clump. The three doe then went flag up and took off.

We both knew those dogs were chasing the deer. I pulled out my handgun and let one shot go....aiming about 50 yards in front of the two dogs. When the crack went off, the smart one stopped in his tracks, turned and began a very fast-as-it-could back to where it came from followed by the dumb one.

I did not want to shoot the dog......just get it off the deer chase. It appeared to me that this wasn't the smart dog's first rodeo.

#19 ·
In the scenario presented in the OP story... no I would not.

First, this took place in an urban area and I would be subject to possible charges for discharging a firearm at the discretion of local law enforcement. Second, I would be subject to possible suit by the owners of the animal unless it was a stray. Neither of those risks would be worth the life a deer, particularly a city deer that doesn't really belong there in the first place. I would report the dog to authorities as a menace for the local animal control office to handle.

Reactions: jimbridger
#20 ·
I would probably not shoot the dog, as mentioned too much unseen liability. Also urban area perhaps with a chance of a ricochet and harming someone else. I would only shoot if someone’s life was endangered and then very carefully.
I respect deer and when hunting will only take a humane shot, but deer are ubiquitous and not worth getting into a legal contest.
Would you shoot a dog killing a mouse, a squirrel, a groundhog, a cat, etc? Deer are elevated to another level by hunters, why else is there a game law preventing dogs from chasing deer and not other species.
I would certainly report the incident and do not condone deer chasing by dogs.
I know there are areas in the Carolinas that have packs of wild dogs, in that case I would consider them to be non native predators and they would get the same treatment as a feral cat.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.