"back in the day" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

"back in the day"

As a father and grandfather I've been guilty of spinning a yarn or two to my children and grandchildren. The " when I was a boy"...or.. "back in the day"...or.."i used to have to". You know walk to school 10 miles up hill through 3' of snow.
Such tales are often embellished with a bit of exaggeration thrown in, yet in every tale there is a element of truth. Truth is as generations passed things got woefully easier.
I recently read some accounts about Ben Lilly the famous lion and bear hunter, and trapper. Roosevelt once hired him as a guide and described him as a lean man of incredible endurance and woodmanship.
He wrote how lilly just suddenly appeared in camp out of the thick woods on foot. It was raining and he had no raincoat just the clothes he wore. He had not eaten in 24 hrs, and had spent the night perched in a tree like a wild turkey because the ground was to wet to lie on.lol...Can you imagine! now that's a...."back in the day" story.
Other accounts describe Lilly as a man of endurance well past what by today's standards would be considered "in his prime" records show lilly was around 50 yrs old when he set off into the wilderness and Abandonded his life with society.
I sometimes marvel at the ability's the American Indians had to survive in the wild. Let's face it there were no Bass pro's or Cabelas to gear up at.
And tough!...We are extremely soft in comparison.
Sitting bull before going to battle with Custer performed what is called a sun dance ritual. While sitting still pieces of flesh was carved from his arms and offered to the great spirit a symbol of a giving of himself. His arms ran red with blood, afterward he danced for 2 days before collapsing. Considering we have a tough time sitting still for 4 hrs in our loggy treestand I'd say that's a "back in the day" story.
Sometimes it does us good to sit back and take stock in the paths we choose and our motives. Things are quite a bit different than "back in the day"
I don't think I want to go back to some of those things, but I certainly think we lost a few things along the way that might have been good to hang onto.
Sometimes in our pursuit of better and "easier" we lose a bit of perseverance, determination, and our ability to excel based on our efforts.
Crutches make walking easier, but sometimes its better to endure a little hardship, tough it out, and learn to walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No yarn to tell about my old school days. Grew up in the city and my grade school was literally a block and a half away.
So any yarn about my walks to school would be measured in feet not miles.
Waynzee likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember, back in the day, when we thought we were high tech shooting laminated fiberglass limbs on our recurves and shooting fiberglass arrows instead of cedar. When I made a homemade tree stand, copied off the Baker, instead of standing on a limb, it almost felt illegal. I was always warm in my high tech wool cloths.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 10:49 AM

I often (maybe too often) told my boys that "suffering and hardship builds character." For awhile that was my pat response to any of their various complaints about lifes difficulties. Pretty sure that I repeated it often enough that it became one of those perceived difficulties 🙂
Mike Barcaskey and Waynzee like this.

"The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting,.. " Proverbs 12:27 NKJ
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No wonder my grandparents told me stories of great feats when they were younger!.
Lololol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200205-114050_Gallery_1580921055833.jpg (509.8 KB, 56 views)

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I had an old timer who used to come into my store to buy stuff for his grandchildren. He was 81 years old and still working every day as a logger for the company he himself started, and he still did it all. He cut trees, attached the cable when the skidder came, sometimes drove the skidder, took the cables off the logs, and loaded logs onto trucks to go to the mill. I don't know what became of that old timer, I retired for health reasons and lost track of him.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

most of todays kids would look at you like you`re crazy and wouldn't last five minutes in the outdoors without their cell phones ,smart phones, computers, tv ,videos games. to bad they are missing out on a lot of great stuff and adventures.
lanctrapper likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
I had an old timer who used to come into my store to buy stuff for his grandchildren. He was 81 years old and still working every day as a logger for the company he himself started, and he still did it all. He cut trees, attached the cable when the skidder came, sometimes drove the skidder, took the cables off the logs, and loaded logs onto trucks to go to the mill. I don't know what became of that old timer, I retired for health reasons and lost track of him.
We have a local logger that is still doing that in his mid seventies. He is still going strong. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was still doing it into his eighties.

I well remember just how tough some of those old timers were in the farming community I grew up in back in the fifties and sixties. Life was a lot different back in those days.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember being 12 and learning that what happens at camp STAYS at camp...learned that my father actually did use that word beginning with F....hand me down red/ black check woolrich suit, felt shoes and slush boots...remembering the smell of everyone returning and stripping all that wet wool...while dad burned the spaghetti sauce...memories.

I still remember how bad that nights dinner tasted.....
MDsurveyor527 likes this.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember a lot of great memories hunting as a kid before we got our camp and a lot of great memories afterwards. always great to remember them and share them as well.
MDsurveyor527 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in