any mention of straight walled cartridge for Special Regs Areas? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

any mention of straight walled cartridge for Special Regs Areas?

With all the changes we are getting every year now, has there been any discussion of changing the special regs area rules to allow straight walled centerfire cartridges? Or short (1.7" and under) straight walled cartridges? I keep on reading about this in other states for use in the their shotgun areas, but so far have not heard anything for PA.
gf44mag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 06:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not that i have heard but would love to use my 44 mag revolver for hunting around here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:40 AM

I'm sure in typical Pa fashion, it will be proposed, a vocal minority will start yelling about carnage or tradition, and they'll eventually get around to it in a decade or so.
burninghxcsoul likes this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:52 AM

I have been asking the commissioners to consider this for three years now. They need to hear form more folks that hunt the SRA for sure.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:44 AM

I just wish they would change the SRA law to allow flintlock pistols in the SRA's. Right now it's just "Long Guns" in the flintlock reg's. Flint pistols are allowed everywhere except the SRA's.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:45 AM
New Arrival

Might as well just open it up to everything again. When the regs were first put in place it made some sense but not anymore. Technology has advanced such that there is little difference between what a shotgun or inline muzzle loader using saboted ammo can do vs. traditional ammo.
Retaks likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:50 AM

I think in states like Iowa, Ohio, etc the use of shotgun only seasons was more about the impact of firearms on the resource first vs a safety issue due to proximity with populated areas?
If that perceived safety trumps the resource concerns in the special regs areas here in PA then opening the door to centerfire rifles like the new 350 legend etc probably goes against their reason for shotguns in the first place.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
simoncool likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

There's been studies that demonstrate there is no demonstrable safety difference between the use of slug-only shotguns, straight-walled centerfire (rifle or pistol), muzzleloaders (with or without Sabots) and necked centerfire.
The restriction in the SRAs to shotgun/ml only is based on perception & optics, not fact.
That said, I don't see a change to the permitted arms in the SRAs happening anytime soon...
Inertia is the name of the game when it comes to lawful devices in this state.

Edit: I also doubt the restriction is born of resource concerns, they have a hard time as it is hitting harvest targets in the SRAs on a consistent basis.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt / PA View Post
I think in states like Iowa, Ohio, etc the use of shotgun only seasons was more about the impact of firearms on the resource first vs a safety issue due to proximity with populated areas?
Man I hope not, thats the dumbest reason ever. Purposefully giving someone an inaccurate weapon so they don't kill as many deer would inevitably lead to a high number of wounded, non recovered deer I would think. What genius thought that would be a good solution to control a population vs more accurate weapons and tag allocation?

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul View Post
Man I hope not, thats the dumbest reason ever. Purposefully giving someone an inaccurate weapon so they don't kill as many deer would inevitably lead to a high number of wounded, non recovered deer I would think. What genius thought that would be a good solution to control a population vs more accurate weapons and tag allocation?

Slug guns are not inaccurate. I have a Rem 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel I used to hunt with many years ago in NH. Killed many deer with it. It likes Federal 1oz. foster type slugs and I could knock the lid off a copenhagen can over and over again at 60 yds.

A better shot than I could reach out much farther.
Steeltrap and simoncool like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page