Hunter Safety Certificate question.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hunter Safety Certificate question....

To all,

I had the opportunity to hunt in Missouri this past season and when we went to purchase our license we needed to provide our PA Hunter Safety Certificate number, as it turns out no ones certificate had a number on it. In the spirit of full disclosure I did not have my certificate from 1979. I had looked into getting a replacement but could not get it turned around before the hunt. I had been told they would be able to by pass the problem using my SS # but that didn't work either. We ended up being able to use a Apprentice License issued from Missouri as long as we hunted with a Licensed Missouri hunter, since this was a waterfowl hunt it was easy to accommodate the requirement and pay the extra money. I have since returned and took an online course and now have a number if I ever need one. If you turned 12 before 1967, this doesn't affect you btw.

Now the reason for the question, can anyone tell me or show me what the certificate looked like in 1979 ? I attended an all day class at a local VFW, passed a written test and received my signed Hunter Safety Card, I remember showing it to purchase my license for a couple years but can't remember what happened to it at this point. The PALS system PA uses just retrieves your info from previous years so no proof required. I would love to try and find my original Certificate, just need to know what Im looking for.

Thanks for taking the time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:36 PM
Part of the Community

I ran into this problem getting a license in MD - the second time. The first time, the guy said it was no big deal that I didn't have it and sold me a license. The following year, a different guy explained that what actually happened was that the guy last year checked a box which essentially said that I had completed the HS course, but since I couldn't provide proof at the time of purchase, I would carry the proof with me while hunting. Further, if I didn't have proof on me and I was stopped, it would be considered hunting without a license and I could possibly have my gun and truck confiscated. Wow - wish I had known that the first time! I went home and found an old wallet, which luckily held my hunter safety card from 1991.

I remember using the HSC to get my first license and, from then on, using the previous year's license to get the new one. Up until PALS, of course.

To answer your question about the certificate, I don't know. I don't recall getting anything other than a card and an orange hat after the HS course. Maybe in Missouri they issue a "certificate" instead of a card? I only had to show my card, which does not have any number on it, so I'm not sure what the selling agent recorded in my case.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaterfowler1 View Post
... can anyone tell me or show me what the certificate looked like in 1979 ? ...
The best that I can remember, in 1979, you would have received a 2" x 3" card (fluorescent orange on one side, white on the other), with your name & DoB, and the signature of the Hunter Education instructor.
Dogface, loridr, Vonfoust and 2 others like this.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM

Curious as well. I took my course in 1999 and my card doesn't have any # on it either, just the date completed. I've successfully gotten licenses in WV, NY, MD, VA, CO, ID, and applied in UT, and NM without issue.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaterfowler1 View Post
To all,
If you turned 12 before 1967, this doesn't affect you btw.

What is the 1967 date do for you?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 PM

I took my Hunter Ed course in 1961, since then on the rare occations I was asked, I just presented a previous years hunting/trapping lisence and I was grandfathered. That's how it went 7 years ago when I moved into Pa.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager View Post
I took the course in 1966, the year BEFORE it became mandatory so those born b/4 1955 were exempt from needing the card to get their first license

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
The best that I can remember, in 1979, you would have received a 2" x 3" card (fluorescent orange on one side, white on the other), with your name & DoB, and the signature of the Hunter Education instructor.
PA Plinker,

Thanks for the info, at least it gives me an idea of what to look for.
Pa-Plinker likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager View Post
Apparently anyone born before that is exempt from providing proof of taking the course.

While on the Missouri trip, my father and my buddies dad were both exempt from providing proof. They were our "mentors" and we were apprentices under the Missouri guide lines. We had to be accompanied by mentors the entire time we hunted

Last edited by awaterfowler1; 01-23-2020 at 02:00 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I took mine in 1976 and my card is blue on both sides with instructors signature but no number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page