Confusion will be the norm! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Confusion will be the norm!

I just read the PDF draft of the upcoming PGC meeting. Under the section of dates and seasons, there is going to be some real confusion this year with the addition of the 3 days of Sunday hunting. Archery season for deer will end on Saturday, November 14th. It will begin again on Sunday, November 15 and end Sunday, November 15. It will begin again December 26 and run to January 18. Basically, they are listing the Sunday as a seperate season for Archery deer. Now look at fall turkey- It is scheduled to end Saturday, November 14th with no listing as being able to hunt turkey on Sunday the 15th. The same holds true for the manner in which they list the seasons for rifle bear- listing the Sunday as a seperate season. There is no mention of a small game season for the Sunday of November 15.

It was my initial impression that the Sunday hunting was to increase the availability of all species to be hunted on those days, not just archery deer. It create a problem during bear, since small game doesn't close for bear season. The Sunday during firearms deer season is not a factor, nothing else is in season.

Oh, and get ready for the flood of controversy-- they are calling for a 2 week concurrent season of antler/antlerless deer for the first two weeks of rifle season.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...0%20Agenda.pdf

Wishing I was at camp!

Last edited by Hittingguru; 01-18-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 AM

I guess everyone's assumption that all game would be legal that was in season on those 2 days was incorrect. I agree that it will add confusion.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

maybe once they figure it out ,then they can explain it without much confusion . time will tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:53 AM

Yes they really need to work on their wording. This year I was going to apply for an elk permit. As I was reading about the seasons , units, etc I couldn't make sense of it, never applied.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:54 AM
Sage

It's just an outline "Draft" of agenda for discussion. The proposed changes won't take a genius to clarify/implement on the final roll out....least I hope not.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

agree with you Loggy.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru View Post
I just read the PDF draft of the upcoming PGC meeting. Under the section of dates and seasons, there is going to be some real confusion this year with the addition of the 3 days of Sunday hunting. Archery season for deer will end on Saturday, November 14th. It will begin again on Sunday, November 15 and end Sunday, November 15. It will begin again December 26 and run to January 18. Basically, they are listing the Sunday as a seperate season for Archery deer. Now look at fall turkey- It is scheduled to end Saturday, November 14th with no listing as being able to hunt turkey on Sunday the 15th. The same holds true for the manner in which they list the seasons for rifle bear- listing the Sunday as a seperate season. There is no mention of a small game season for the Sunday of November 15.
Wonder who the brain child is that came up with that draft and/or proposal? Hopefully it is amended at the meeting. If that is actually what the commissioners plan to do with these Sunday's, shame on them. If the above is what the law dictates (not sure that it does), then shame on those that supported that language, which I didn't.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 01-18-2020 at 10:13 AM.
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage

No confusion if you read footnote 1(listed with applicable season dates) appertaining to seasons for other species outside of deer & bear:

No open seasons on other wild birds or wild mammals.
1 No hunting on Sunday authorized. See 34 Pa.C.S. 2303.
2 Only persons who possess a special wild turkey license as provided for in section 2709 of the act (relating to license costs and
fees) may take a second spring gobbler during the hunting license year; all other persons, including mentored youth hunters, may
take only one spring gobbler. A maximum of 2 spring gobblers per license year may be taken by any combination of licenses or
exceptions for mentored youth.
3 Hunting on Sunday is authorized. See 34 Pa.C.S. 2303.
4 Only one antlered deer (buck) may be taken during the hunting license year.
5 Hunting on Sunday authorized on separately delineated Sunday date only. See 34 Pa.C.S. 2303.
Includes residents and nonresident license holders who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application
for the license and hold a valid adult license or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706 of the act (relating to
resident license and fee exemptions).
7 Only one bear may be taken during the hunting license year with the required bear license.
8 Only one elk may be taken during the hunting license year with the required elk license.
PAtradarcher likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 AM

The bill was sold as one Sunday had to be during archery season. Everyone I talked to and every discussion I saw about this bill were under the assumption that hunting for other species with open seasons that overlapped that Sunday would also be legal. Not that only deer could be hunted on that Sunday during archery season.

If the legislation actually dictates this, I am even more content in my decision to oppose this legislation even though I fully support Sunday hunting. As I have always said, it is way past time for hunters and sporting orgs in this state to demand a clean bill that fully transfers regulatory authority of Sunday hunting to the PGC.

If this plays out like it looks like, this is just more extreme meddling in hunting regulations by politicians. Something that some sportsman supported in their haste to move Sunday hunting forward.
bohunr, LONZO, Dogface and 1 others like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 01-18-2020 at 11:14 AM.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM

Pa. seems to be heading the direction of some of the western states? When we were going to Colorado every year for elk I used to get with my brother to make sure I was applying correctly, different units, different seasons, different point restrictions, depending on your weapon of choice. Now we have this animal is legal, these aren't, need orange or don't need it,, legal here but not across the road? I don't want to need a lawyer and not even sure they could be 100% correct?
fall gobbler and Danesdad like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page