For those opposed to the saturday opener for deer. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 294Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Sage

For those opposed to the saturday opener for deer.

If you are opposed to the Saturday opener for deer based on it messing up "tradition" at camps, I have a question for you....Why would anything have to change for you? Camp owners could still keep doing things the way they always did, since the season is open on the first Monday. Why don't camp groups do their scouting, shopping, scouting, socializing and drinking as they always have (presumably Friday through Sunday) and then hunt on Monday?
SRA-5C+ likes this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Camp owners could still keep doing things the way they always did, since the season is open on the first Monday.

I've said before... when the dumb move first came to light. THE FIRST DAY is the magical day. Nobody gathers around the (insert your favorite hangout here), and says "Hey Petey, where you gonna be on the SECOND DAY". Too much dismissal of that naughty "T" word, what it means to so many people, and what is SHOULD mean to so many more.

By the way, hunting the FIRST day, is as much tradition as one can get. Same as simply discussing the FIRST day. It's why you hear guys say, "I haven't missed an opener in 50 years". Or "The only time I missed an opener in 60 years, was when my favorite uncle, Sam, sent me to Southeast Asia on a trip".

2A-Wash. Co.

Last edited by Fleroo; 12-19-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I'm not dismissing tradition. I just don't understand why it has to change based on what day of the season it is. Why is the first day "magical"? They all seem pretty good to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Why is the first day "magical"? They all seem pretty good to me.

What's that Harley-Davidson quote ? "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".
drags, Asajoe1, jpr and 4 others like this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:11 PM

I can only define the first day as this:

It's the ONLY day a lot of guys see deer that are NOT PRESSURED.

That's where the magic is. It's also fact that 30-40% of all bucks killed during rifle season are killed on the very first day. Yes I understand participation plays a big part of that number, but equally, I think hunting pressure does or lack there of as well..
bobdoo likes this.

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Are we really doing this again? I mean I totally understand guys wanted to hunt the first day and not sitting on the sidelines until Monday.

It was weird this year, but I liked it. Got a squirrel hunt in Friday morning, got to camp, had a few cold ones, and woke up Saturday and it was the season. No sitting around waiting for the next two days. But the camp I go to is a little different, it's used year round and is 30 minutes from where most of the family lives. A majority of us there were tagged out from archery and just living the camp life.

Regardless, if as the statistics I've seen show, less than 25% hunt from a camp, that alone significantly weakens the argument to begin with.
post #7 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
If you are opposed to the Saturday opener for deer based on it messing up "tradition" at camps, I have a question for you....Why would anything have to change for you? Camp owners could still keep doing things the way they always did, since the season is open on the first Monday. Why don't camp groups do their scouting, shopping, scouting, socializing and drinking as they always have (presumably Friday through Sunday) and then hunt on Monday?

If the first day was not the day everyone wants to hunt they wouldn't have moved it in the first place now would they? Suggesting people miss it when they can hunt it is truly an idiotic statement, so tired of hearing guys say this. If all the days are good why didn't they just add another day at the end for all those who missed the opener? Makes just as much sense as what you are spouting.

I'm not calling you an idiot, but that is a stupid thing for anyone to say, it's like saying the land isn't posted so you can hunt there, really?
jpr, Buckskin Dave and Bmcgough3 like this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #8 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Sage

So, the traditional guys have no problem keeping things as they were, depriving college kids and people whose work schedule didn't allow them to hunt on the first day. Yet, they could still keep their tradition, but they didn't want JUST that, they wanted the first day too? Sounds kind of selfish to me. A kid in college cant hunt the first day unless it is Saturday. Traditionalists can do exactly what they've always done, regardless of when the first day falls. Everyone talks about how much the little stores and businesses in the northern tier would lose if the opener was moved to Saturday. An interesting statistic might be how much bars and beer distributors in the northern tier lost.
SRA-5C+ likes this.

post #9 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Meh... you started a thread to ask WHY for those of us opposed. I give you valid fodder as to why I, and many others are opposed, then you go to the ol' fall-back of "It's all about the booze"....or lack thereof.

To steal from Randy Moss.... C'MON MAN !
Buckskin Dave likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 228 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I don't think it's all about the booze. But it surely is a factor. And for those for whom partying with their buddies is the big draw (which I have no issue with), what difference does it make when that happens in relation to when the season starts? And, for those who are serious about getting a deer, what difference does the starting day make in relation to that effort?

What it comes down to is that traditionalists can still do their thing no matter when the first day happens. But there are people (much less vocal than traditionalists) who cannot get out that Monday (for whatever reason), but could on Saturday. They can ONLY get out opening day, if that day is a Saturday.
whil e kioti likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in