Last Day Last Hour - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Last Day Last Hour

It has been an interesting season for me. For a multitude of reasons archery was a bust for me. My kids had some success (which is even better than my own), but as far as me being able to fill my tag, it just didn't come together. Two weeks before rifle season my wifes ENT told her that she had to have her tonsils out... and they had to come out on 12/2... the surgery is brutal for adults with about a 10 day recovery time.... so there went my rifle season. No rifle deer camp for me this year. But there was a small sliver of hope that she would be well enough that by the end of the second week I could slip up to the mountains for a day. Unfortunately, due to complications from the surgery that was not to be, as she spent two days in the hospital the Monday and Tuesday of the second week. Family first, as they say... and with five kids and a laid up wife, there was nothing but dreaming of maybe getting out the late season.
But.... the last day. My wife is feeling better. Around 3pm, she says, "if you want to hunt here at the house I think I am ok enough to be alone with the kids." We have 3 acres here in Berks county... the back 1/3 of the property is woods, with another 10 acres of woods adjoining my property. She asked me not to get up in the stand, as if there was an emergency it would take me a bit to get down... so I opted to hunt with my crossbow from the roof of my shed.
At 3:40PM I climb up the ladder to the roof. I get situated looking into the woods and neighbors field behind the shed. Ten minutes later, I look up and here come two doe... just meandering through the field edge. Then, in the brush next to the field I see antlers. BUCK! He looks nice from here... last day, last hour, if he comes in and gives me a shot I am taking it. I watch him slowly get closer and closer, stopping to nip on some brush, or paw at some acorns. Finally, he is 12 yards away standing broadside... crossbow is fired! Mad dash straight away, then I think I see him crash over. Silence. Did that just happen? I think? Twenty total minutes on the roof and a buck down? I chose to wait though. Seeing as the property is small, and there is a development right over the hill, if he is not dead, and I push him he could run and I would never find him. So I decide to wait thirty minutes. While waiting ten more does come walking through....maybe shed roof hunting should be a new thing for me?
After the thirty minutes I get down.... walk to where I shot, no blood (but the ground is wet from the rain, so I was half expecting blood to be hard to locate).... I walk in the direction of where he went, take no more than 20 steps and there he is! What a way to wrap up the season.... He is the first deer I have ever killed on property I own.... and a decent buck at that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ChipBuck2.jpeg (1.61 MB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg ChipBuck.jpg (1.99 MB, 135 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

1 moment can change your entire season..CONGRATULATIONS
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Proves that you can't kill one from the couch but it can definitely happen from the Shed Roof!
Congrats
loridr likes this.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Great story,Congrats on a great buck you just never know when is going to happen.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage

CONGRATS on your last hour buck!! Plus hat's off to how you look after your family!! Glad the Mrs is doing better.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nice buck congrats

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Adds new meaning to the phrase "shed hunting". That's a great story of a memorable hunt. Congrats and hope your wife continues to recover.
loridr likes this.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:24 PM
The Man

Congrats!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Congrats, That`s a nice one for sure. Sometimes good things come to those who wait....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Looks like your priorities paid dividends! Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page