Which PGC regulation would you change if you could? - Page 30 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 942Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
My definition of old timer is constantly changing. I can remember when 50 was an oldtimer. It's up to about 80 these days and continues to climb.

I'm all for change when it makes sense!
Change that makes sense? Yep that makes sense.
bohunr and simoncool like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Haven't seen that for awhile. The majority of my archery kills were with compound bows shooting fingers, and no peep. Near the end of my compound days, I did switch to a release. Never did use a peep.

Had an uncle who was pretty deadly with a compound shooting instinctive, just like a trad bow, course that was a very long time ago in the days of 4 wheelers.
4 Wheeler's? Allen, Jennings Arrowstar. A buddy of mine asked me why I bought a 2 wheel Compound ( my first one ) Jennings T Star.
He owned the 4 wheel Arrowstar. Little did he know what would evolve.
bohunr and loridr like this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #293 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
4 Wheeler's? Allen, Jennings Arrowstar. A buddy of mine asked me why I bought a 2 wheel Compound ( my first one ) Jennings T Star.
I never owned one, but I remember those old Bear Whitetails had multiple wheels and cables running all over the place. I was a Darton SL 50 guy back in the day.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #294 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
If I had one change to make it would be allowing flintlock season hunters the opportunity to ignore antler restrictions provided they still had a valid buck tag. I say that because it is usually pretty hard to look the deer over with binoculars, needed by those of us older hunters with fading eye sight, then still end up with a shot opportunity.

Many times I have failed to get a shot at both legal bucks and legal does during flintlock season because I had used up all of my shot opportunities looking at them through binoculars trying figure out if they had enough points or if they were perhaps a small buck instead of an antlerless deer.

The number of protected class bucks that would be harvested by eliminating the antler restrictions during the flintlock season would be rather minimal in the first place. In the second place a fair number of bucks are already being killed in the flintlock season as shed antler bucks. Both my youngest son and I have killed shed antler bucks in the flintlock season. The number of shed antler bucks harvested will increase this season due to the longer running and later into winter season this year.

Now as for those claiming crossbow should only be for the disabled or old hunters, how about all the youth and female hunters who simply didn't have the physical ability to participate in archery hunting before the legalization of the crossbow? What about the thousands of hunters who didn't have the opportunity to practice daily or even weekly due to work schedules and/or no logical place to practice? Should those people have been forced to drop out of archery or never get involved in archery or perhaps any hunting simply because a few people don't approve of crossbows?

The fact is before crossbows were legal it was easy enough for basically any unscrupulous person to go to pretty much any Doctor and get the Doctor to sign a form that stated the person was not physically able to draw a bow. At that point the Game Commission was then required, by law, to issue them the permit to use a crossbow, even if they lied to get the permit. It was a run away program with the Game Commission having basically no ability to slow the trend of dishonest people from getting the permit and hunting with a crossbow anyway. Why not just make it legal and open the door for more people who were not physically able to handle a regular bow but too honest to cheat for that opportunity?

Crossbows have helped to get both more young people and more physically limited people of both genders into archery hunting, and perhaps into any hunting, with very little impact on the resource. That sounds like wise management of both hunters and wildlife management from my perspective.

Dick Bodenhorn
I can agree with these thoughts on flintlock. The only thing that I will add is that flintlock hunters should also be allowed to harvest a bear if they have the appropriate tag. The harvest would be minuscule, and I doubt people would be digging under every dead fall looking for denned bears to kill with their flintlocks
post #295 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain View Post
This is how i think archery seasons should be set up:

Long bow and recurve - Oct 1 to Jan 31.
Compound with fingers - Oct 1 to Nov 15
Compound with release - Oct 1 to Oct 31
Crossbow - Oct 15 to Oct 31.

All small game seasons would also open Oct 1 and run thru Jan 31 with no closure for any deer seasons.
Your thoughts on the small game season mirror mine, and many others states
post #296 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post

My first compound was a Bear Polar LTD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear_polar_ltd.jpg (22.7 KB, 7 views)
bohunr and Dogface like this.
post #297 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Part of the Community

I just donít think I could be comfortable letting my dog run during rifle season. Even with orange on and I do hate the two week wait to get back to bird hunting. Maybe some day the use of hounds will come to pa like the do down south thatís something on my bucket list.
bohunr likes this.
post #298 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I never owned one, but I remember those old Bear Whitetails had multiple wheels and cables running all over the place. I was a Darton SL 50 guy back in the day.
Had another buddy who owned a Bear 4 wheel and one time while we were practicing
one of the small wheels on the upper riser flew off after a shot. He was anti Jennings and took some ribbing that day.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #299 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Still have my Darton Trailmaster from 1979!
post #300 of 472 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
My first compound was a Bear Polar LTD.
That is exactly my first bow that i used. My dad still has it. He bought that before i was born. Lots of memories with that bow.
bohunr and loridr like this.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page