Antler Restrictions across the State... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Antler Restrictions across the State...

Back when restrictions went into effect the PGC came up with a plan to have some WMU`s in the East & Western part of the state have a 3-up rule and the rest of the State 2-up.They said at the time that this was going to be for a short period to see which way the management wanted to go with this. That was over 15 years ago and nothing has changed as far as antler restriction goes, other than eliminating the brow tine.

My question is....Why don`t the PGC have a straight antler restriction across the State...Either 2-up or 3-up for everyone? I myself would like it to be 3-up State wide for all adult hunters, with Jr.`s & mentored exempt. Looking for some thoughts Ö..

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure on a statewide rule. I do think more WMU'S need to be bumped to the higher standard. I will say that the 3up needs to be changed back to the 4pt rule. For every no brow buck running around theres more illegal deer taken because guys have no clue what 3up means.
jimbridger likes this.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:23 AM
The Man

When originally implemented, in the west it was "4 on one side", not "3 up". It was changed to "3 up" later.

Remainder of the state is "3 on one side", not "2 up"; has always been that way and still is.

In the east, it was never "4 on one side", or "3 up"; it has always been "3 on one side".

The reason the PGC has different regs between the west and remainder of the state is that AR's are meant to protect a percentage of yearling bucks in order to correct breeding ecology; it has nothing to do with trophy management. The soil type along the western edge of the state grows bigger antlers in yearling bucks than the remainder of the state, hence the more restrictive AR's there.
R. S. B., JoeG52, Danesdad and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Part of the Community

I’d be in favor of three up statewide. The quality of bucks I have been able to kill and hunt has increased dramatically in the last ten years.
joe8768, BBB and whil e kioti like this.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:56 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
I’d be in favor of three up statewide. The quality of bucks I have been able to kill and hunt has increased dramatically in the last ten years.

Devils advocate here.

Sounds like you've gotten what you want... a good population of quality bucks for you to hunt that meet your personal criteria for a shooter.

But that's not enough? You'd like it to be even more restrictive with no regard to the 10's of thousands of hunters who are are tickled to death to kill a nice 6 point? Even though more restrictive AR's are not needed to reach management goals?
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
When originally implemented, in the west it was "4 on one side", not "3 up". It was changed to "3 up" later.

Remainder of the state is "3 on one side", not "2 up"; has always been that way and still is.

In the east, it was never "4 on one side", or "3 up"; it has always been "3 on one side".

The reason the PGC has different regs between the west and remainder of the state is that AR's are meant to protect a percentage of yearling bucks in order to correct breeding ecology; it has nothing to do with trophy management. The soil type along the western edge of the state grows bigger antlers in yearling bucks than the remainder of the state, hence the more restrictive AR's there.
Thanks lordr, I stand corrected on the eastern part of the states 3 to a side rule, being from the west, what I`m getting at is, why isn`t it 3 up across the state, trying to see a brow tine on a buck is pretty tough at times, That is why they did away with the 3 + brow in the west. there were too many illegal kills , so they went with the 3 up;
Myself I think it should be 3-up across the state...or just make it 3 to a side state wide...

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 12-13-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added a thought
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Those 6 points will be mature 8 & bigger. Why not? Your only going to lose a small percentage to poachers and cars. With the loss of hunters I doubt it would dent the harvest success rate at all.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Quote:

Devils advocate here.

Sounds like you've gotten what you want... a good population of quality bucks for you to hunt that meet your personal criteria for a shooter.

But that's not enough? You'd like it to be even more restrictive with no regard to the 10's of thousands of hunters who are are tickled to death to kill a nice 6 point? Even though more restrictive AR's are not needed to reach management goals?
Yes. That’s correct. I don’t see a problem with that as that age class of bucks will be more available for everyone to harvest.

I mean at the end of the argument. I want to enjoy hunting for myself. It’s nice to be for a hunting experience for everyone but in the final analysis, I like hunting and shooting big bucks.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot View Post
Myself I think it should be 3-up across the state...or just make it 3 to a side state wide...

Why? If management goals are being met and they must be why go to three up?
jimbridger likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
I mean at the end of the argument. I want to enjoy hunting for myself. Itís nice to be for a hunting experience for everyone but in the final analysis, I like hunting and shooting big bucks.

At least your honest about your selfishness. That's rare.
jimbridger, Buff, loridr and 1 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page