The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Day 12

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Tuna_ 
#1 ·
I am hitting the road to SGL with flintlock hoping to beat some rain moving in. Have antlerless tag. Just good to be off. Tomorrow may be a washout.

#8 ·
As I heard leaves crunching I could not tell which way it was I turned around to watch where I thought it was and then the sound literally behind at 30 yds of a deer explode and spin and I watched as the buck bounded away to maybe 100yds and walked away. Not sure of exact size. But a bigger deer. Amazing how the sound was confusing in these crunchy leaves🤔

#10 ·
I killed a hog of a doe this morning. I was walking the trail to get to the top of the mountain and had another 20 minutes to get there and i looked down the hollow and from a distance i couldnt tell if it was a log or a deer, i scoped it for like 5 minutes. With is being drizzly i finally saw the head move, she was pretty far and i took the shot. She dropped right in her tracks and deer scattered everywhere. I didnt see any antlers on the other so i gutted and tagged her and went looking for a buck. No buck seen but i knew the drag was going to suck as i was about 1.5 miles away from the truck. Instead of dragging her 150 yards straight up to the trail i had to drag down the mountain a little then drag her up hill a little until i met the other trail. Took forever as the trails all became ice and i kept falling. I swear i shot the biggest doe on the mountain. Now time to butcher and sit on a hitting pad lol.

#19 · (Edited)
After daughter had her baby this morning, I straightened out some gear and defrosted 2 freezers. Got bored, and grabbed my climber and went up a tree 80 yards from my back lawn. I saw 16 deer, 3 that were bucks ( one was a decent 8), from 2:30 till 4:30. There were also 4 deer standing beside my garage when I came down to the house.

Times have really changed since I started hunting 50 years ago. Back then, opening day was the Holy Grail....better score a buck then or your odds went way down. This year, like most, I didn’t have a buck tag to use in the gun season, but I hunted does in 4 different counties, everyday, except the first Friday, Dec.6th. About half those days I was out from daylight till dark. I saw 13 legal bucks, several over 120 “. I could have had good shooting at all but 2 of them. Six of them were in the state forest, big woods, one was in a state park. The other six were on private ground. Every year, there’s more and more bucks surviving opening day, as they are unmolested by lack of pressure.

#20 ·
Every year, there’s more and more bucks surviving opening day, as the are unmolested by lack of pressure.
I used to be mindful that most of the 2 year olds I let pass would most likely be dead. With the lack of hunting and the severe amount of posted and unaccessible property that is no longer an issue in my opinion. Now my fears have turned to EHD. After being through 2 cycles of it in 7 years I can say that can put a real damper in your spirits and is a very disheartening thing to experience not just from a hunting perspective but is just awful to watch unfold.

#22 ·
First deer of the year for me today. Big doe at 654 yards. Dialed the 6.5 PRC to 10.8 MOA and dropped her where she stood. Been a great season so far. My Girlfriend got a nice 8 pt and my daughter got a 7pt and a doe. I’ve been helping them and being picking on passing up bucks trying to find a nice one that I seen last Saturday night. I’m mentally preparing myself for flintlocking a buck after Christmas. Here’s to tomorrow

#23 ·
Was a bountiful day in Penns woods. More shots were heard than any other day of the season. Asked some friends to take the day off work to take part in the harvest. A good time was had by all.

Reactions: loridr
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.