Proud decision - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Proud decision

I was placed at a wonderful hunting spot in 1984 by the landowner. I hunted at this spot every opening day except a few times I killed a buck in archery. Around 2001 my son started going with me. He killed two bucks when I sitting with him. He killed two more on his own. This spot is about 30-40 minute walk and steep at places. My son is now 28 and I am not. So he has inheriting the spot.

The landowner passed many years ago. His wife and daughters allowed my son and me to continue hunting with no changes. Two years ago the property was bought by relatives of the original owner. One is a dairy farmer who owns adjacent property primarily for the farm land. He is a very close family friend of mine. He partnered with his cousin who was more interested in the house and wood land. A few weeks before rifle season the new owner put up a tree stand in very close proximity to my spot. The landowner had no idea and certainly had every right to do so. So my son and I went in Friday before the opener and found a spot down a bench from our original spot. Maybe 150-200 yards below treestand.

Opening day I'm at my cabin about 5 miles away because I killed a buck in archery. My son texts. Big 10 point down....but. Apparently there was a shot from the tree stand and shortly after the shot my son has a 10 point standing looking at him. He shoots and deer doesn't move and quickly shoots again and deer falls in it's tracks. Two holes in front shoulder on the side where my son shot and an exit wound in the guts. The landowner and his 14 year old son come down. The 14 year old had shot and hit the deer first. After a brief awkward moment my son says, "Well I guess it's your deer.". This is the first deer the boy ever shot at. He was elated. I later learned that the father/property owner had very little hunting experience and certainly had never encountered something like this.

I am so proud that my 28 year old could make such a decision. I am glad I wasn't there and he handled it like an adult. I know everyone at my camp knew he made a tough but good decision. The boy was as proud as any hunter I ever saw. As I told my son later in private, you could have claimed the deer. But how would that have effected the boy and his desire to hunt. And if you claimed the deer you might not have been invited back next year. And by the way my archery kill was a very nice 8 on the same property. And currently on the 170 acre farm (about 75 wooded) my son was the only hunter other than the landowner. Next year we will find a new spot well in advance of the season and not as close to the tree stand .

I'm very proud and had to share the story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGobble View Post
I was placed at a wonderful hunting spot in 1984 by the landowner. I hunted at this spot every opening day except a few times I killed a buck in archery. Around 2001 my son started going with me. He killed two bucks when I sitting with him. He killed two more on his own. This spot is about 30-40 minute walk and steep at places. My son is now 28 and I am not. So he has inheriting the spot.

The landowner passed many years ago. His wife and daughters allowed my son and me to continue hunting with no changes. Two years ago the property was bought by relatives of the original owner. One is a dairy farmer who owns adjacent property primarily for the farm land. He is a very close family friend of mine. He partnered with his cousin who was more interested in the house and wood land. A few weeks before rifle season the new owner put up a tree stand in very close proximity to my spot. The landowner had no idea and certainly had every right to do so. So my son and I went in Friday before the opener and found a spot down a bench from our original spot. Maybe 150-200 yards below treestand.

Opening day I'm at my cabin about 5 miles away because I killed a buck in archery. My son texts. Big 10 point down....but. Apparently there was a shot from the tree stand and shortly after the shot my son has a 10 point standing looking at him. He shoots and deer doesn't move and quickly shoots again and deer falls in it's tracks. Two holes in front shoulder on the side where my son shot and an exit wound in the guts. The landowner and his 14 year old son come down. The 14 year old had shot and hit the deer first. After a brief awkward moment my son says, "Well I guess it's your deer.". This is the first deer the boy ever shot at. He was elated. I later learned that the father/property owner had very little hunting experience and certainly had never encountered something like this.

I am so proud that my 28 year old could make such a decision. I am glad I wasn't there and he handled it like an adult. I know everyone at my camp knew he made a tough but good decision. The boy was as proud as any hunter I ever saw. As I told my son later in private, you could have claimed the deer. But how would that have effected the boy and his desire to hunt. And if you claimed the deer you might not have been invited back next year. And by the way my archery kill was a very nice 8 on the same property. And currently on the 170 acre farm (about 75 wooded) my son was the only hunter other than the landowner. Next year we will find a new spot well in advance of the season and not as close to the tree stand .

I'm very proud and had to share the story.
Ya raised him right!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice story. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. Maybe he'll be rewarded with a bigger one this week.
fall gobbler and settler like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Getting the game sometimes isn't the best hunt. I'd say he had a good hunt and handled himself better than a lot of hunters. The landowner probably took note.

I'd be proud of him also.
Danesdad likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 AM
The Man

Your son did a really nice thing, I'd be proud as well.

I liked your line "My son is now 28 and I am not." Ain't it the truth?
Danesdad, simoncool and Mussgrass like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Well done on yours sons part. Im a firm believer in karma, your son earned some no doubt. I killed a young mans first buck once as well, in somewhat similar circumstances. Seeing the look on that boys face, there was no way I could take that away from him. The next day I was rewarded by killing a significantly larger Buck. That was over 15 years ago, and I’ve run into that kid and his dad on that same gamelands several times while deer hunting since, and have been invited to participate on drives with their crew on private land they owned. Karma....👍
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

congrats on your sons decision and his maturity , like Woods walker said . you raised him right . you should be proud of him
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 AM

You did a good job raising your son... He is truly a sportsman.
Some trophy's are bigger then the rack on a buck....
settler likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kudos to your boy. I could never understand why people argue over whose deer it is in this situation. But many do, especially if the deer happens to have a nice rack. Personally I always more than happy to let the other guy have the deer...it means I got to participate in the action and still have a tag! Many camp rules state first to draw blood tags the deer. I guess the letter of the law would be last to hit the deer???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage

A great decision on your sons part. He showed character doing what he did, and the young hunter got a deer he'll never forget. Plus, he earned the good will of the landowner.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page