Another thought on Sat. opener - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Another thought on Sat. opener

Sunday night there is a local program on WNEP TV called Pennsylvania Outdoor Live with Don Jacobs and as I was watching this show he was pushing the Sat. opener commenting on how successful it was and all. I'm not so sure I'd agree with him, at least not where I was hunting in 3C. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM

It is too early to tell anything about the Saturday opener as a whole. All we have to go on is anecdotal evidence. Until we get some participation estimates from the PGC, license sale numbers, harvest data etc.... it is all personal perception at this point.

Peoples experiences can vary wildly depending on where they were hunting. I have seen folks say they saw huge participation, some say they saw less, and some saying no difference.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I asked this same question in another thread;

Does anyone actually believe that themselves or anyone else can accurately gauge the amount of participation across the ENTIRE state based on their personal observations of shots heard, hunters seen, parked cars, camp use, and/or butchers intake?

Good luck, Tony
pappybear likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wayne's that older guy didn't like the fact of the Saturday opener.He wanted to keep the Monday tradition alive
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ya see, this is kind of thing on a outdoor TV program by one personality that shouldn't even be talked about until all the facts are in as dpms stated.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackawanna Fox View Post
Wayne's that older guy didn't like the fact of the Saturday opener.He wanted to keep the Monday tradition alive
I'd say I gave it a fair chance to see if it was good or not and for me I'd like to see the Monday opener stay the same. But it's not entirely up to me and I have to be considerate of what other hunters want and go along with it. That's my point of view. So before anybody is so quick to say what I like or don't like maybe you should get the facts straight.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Sunday night there is a local program on WNEP TV called Pennsylvania Outdoor Live with Don Jacobs and as I was watching this show he was pushing the Sat. opener commenting on how successful it was and all. I'm not so sure I'd agree with him, at least not where I was hunting in 3C. Thoughts?
If you base any of your hunting on what Don Jacobs says, you are working under a serious handicap.

Lots of nice recipes and info on mushroom hunting and frog identification on the show. Never anything of any merit relating to deer hunting.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

agree with dpms and Waynzee
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Banned

It was another day of hunting! That I enjoyed. Some like it some donít. You will get that even if they move it back to Monday.
As much as some people hate it. Iím sure there were some that made some memories on the first Saturday opener that otherwise wouldnít have happened if it would have been the Monday start.
Well I know for a fact that happened.

I donít have a camp or hunt out of a camp anymore so that doesnít affect me in anyway. I get why some of those are upset.

I like that it affords the opportunity for more families to hunt together. There really is no arguing that.

Maybe move it off the thanksgiving weekend. Would take some of the hectic rushing around to get the holiday family things done.

Where ever they start it , Iíll hunt it. If I have tags or the kids want to hunt.

Itís another day to hunt...Iím happy with that!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:30 AM
The Man

It does not even matter at this point. The opener will never be changed back from Saturday. That whole "we'll revisit it" thing was nothing more than to get people to shut up about it. Saturday is here to stay regardless of what anyone thinks of it. The only thing that would tick more people off right now would be for them to switch it back and it ain't gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page