Kids and Hunting/Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Kids and Hunting/Fishing

I know about getting kids into hunting, what you have today can change tomorrow, have a 35 yr old son that couldnt wait till he was old enough to go with dad. Was like that for a few years, then all heck broke loose. Got to that age where he started smelling around them does and realized those things sticking out in front werent just for appearances. Car got washed Friday afternoon without asking and "Hey dad can i borrow a 20" and come saturday "Cant go have to take (Her name)'s mom to the store on account of her dad is huntin or fishin" and if not that " cant go have to take her to get her hair done, or shoe shopping". After the novelity wears off he gives it another try at huntin or fishin but it isnt what it was like when he was young and happy, so they just stick with work or have family duties to do. Anyway i hope you get what i am saying. They dont last for long, and if your like me your on your own. Good Hunting.
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Ever hear of cats in the cradle? best song that I hate.
RegularJoe likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Could be worse. My son has zero interest in hunting. He is 14 now...I can remember the day he was born..one of my first thoughts "can't wait to take you hunting" Age 9 we did the mentored youth hunt. He hunted a couple times since. Now fishing...he will fish with me every second he can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:04 PM
New Arrival

Have been hunting with my Dad since I was 3 years old. I'm 16 now. Hardly ever have missed a Saturday and never will. Hunting is what I live for.
Muzz and EIGHT POINT like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM

I took my son out for the first time he limited out on squirrels. We cooked them and ate them. We went 2 more times in deer gun season and he hasn't been interested since.

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked-Shooter View Post
Have been hunting with my Dad since I was 3 years old. I'm 16 now. Hardly ever have missed a Saturday and never will. Hunting is what I live for.
We’re gonna need a lot more young folks like you the way things are headed.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:22 PM

My son started hunting with me when he was 6. I tried my best to teach him everything I could about the sport. From squirrel to deer. When he was 12, he got to carry a bow, shotgun, or rifle. Whatever the season permitted. He's now 19. He's taken 5 bucks, 9 does, and 5 turkeys in his 8 seasons. Not to mention squirrels, rabbits, pheasants. He also loves fishing. Say what you want about the PGC, the laws, antler restrictions, the seasons, the changes that we as hunters faced through the last 20 years. I do know this, youngsters are given a golden opportunity by the PGC, but it's up to us as parents, friends, relatives, etc. to help guide them to make the most of what is offered to them. Don't expect them to walk out in the woods, not knowing anything about their quarry and expect them to stay interested. Teach them.
EIGHT POINT likes this.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:25 PM
The Man

The most recent generation is growing up in an instant gratification world and they get a participation trophy just for showing up. Deer hunting requires patience and hard work...that's an entirely different world.
EIGHT POINT and Right to Bear like this.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Could be worse. My son has zero interest in hunting. He is 14 now...I can remember the day he was born..one of my first thoughts "can't wait to take you hunting" Age 9 we did the mentored youth hunt. He hunted a couple times since. Now fishing...he will fish with me every second he can.
My oldest is 17 and loves to hunt and fish. He’s been going with me since he was 4 or so. This year’s been rough because of his working on weekends, but he’s still enjoying the times we get out & always has been that way ... My middle son is 15, he also went a couple times when he was younger, but had no real interest in hunting at all. He’d fish every once in a while, and sometimes he’d come and shoot sporting clays (but not very often) or go to the range and while my older son and I shot our deer rifles, he’d shoot 22’s or an AR. He’s just wired a little bit differently than the older one. I think he really wasn’t sure about killing something TBH. He certainly wasn’t against it, and I never pushed the issue with him. Then recently, my oldest and I were going to take the dogs to a pheasant preserve to get the puppy some work on birds, and I asked him if he wanted to go ... I was shocked when he said “Yes”. My older dog pointed the first bird and when my older son flushed it, the bird didn’t cooperate and instead of flushing straight away it came out to the side and went directly towards my younger son – when it got passed him – I yelled at him to shoot it and he dropped it in one shot. The smile on his face was priceless holding that first rooster. My point is that some take longer than others, and he might just surprise you later on down the road.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 AM
New Arrival

I've been taking my son with me since he was 6. He's 16 now and goes with me every chance he gets. I really stressed gun safety and good hunting ethics and he really listened and learned. While doing that teaching we made sure we had fun. We even had a wrestling match in a corn field one slow day. I strongly believe that you have to keep hunting fun and not have kids just sit still and quiet for hours on end no matter what game your hunting. He's been very successful in his short hunting career and always brings up the wrestling wanting a rematch. Now I just come up with excuses not to have it cause he would probably pound me now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page