The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Kids and Hunting/Fishing

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  fall gobbler 
#1 ·
I know about getting kids into hunting, what you have today can change tomorrow, have a 35 yr old son that couldnt wait till he was old enough to go with dad. Was like that for a few years, then all heck broke loose. Got to that age where he started smelling around them does and realized those things sticking out in front werent just for appearances. Car got washed Friday afternoon without asking and "Hey dad can i borrow a 20" and come saturday "Cant go have to take (Her name)'s mom to the store on account of her dad is huntin or fishin" and if not that " cant go have to take her to get her hair done, or shoe shopping". After the novelity wears off he gives it another try at huntin or fishin but it isnt what it was like when he was young and happy, so they just stick with work or have family duties to do. Anyway i hope you get what i am saying. They dont last for long, and if your like me your on your own. Good Hunting.

#3 ·
Could be worse. My son has zero interest in hunting. He is 14 now...I can remember the day he was born..one of my first thoughts "can't wait to take you hunting" Age 9 we did the mentored youth hunt. He hunted a couple times since. Now fishing...he will fish with me every second he can.

#9 ·
My oldest is 17 and loves to hunt and fish. He’s been going with me since he was 4 or so. This year’s been rough because of his working on weekends, but he’s still enjoying the times we get out & always has been that way ... My middle son is 15, he also went a couple times when he was younger, but had no real interest in hunting at all. He’d fish every once in a while, and sometimes he’d come and shoot sporting clays (but not very often) or go to the range and while my older son and I shot our deer rifles, he’d shoot 22’s or an AR. He’s just wired a little bit differently than the older one. I think he really wasn’t sure about killing something TBH. He certainly wasn’t against it, and I never pushed the issue with him. Then recently, my oldest and I were going to take the dogs to a pheasant preserve to get the puppy some work on birds, and I asked him if he wanted to go ... I was shocked when he said “Yes”. My older dog pointed the first bird and when my older son flushed it, the bird didn’t cooperate and instead of flushing straight away it came out to the side and went directly towards my younger son – when it got passed him – I yelled at him to shoot it and he dropped it in one shot. The smile on his face was priceless holding that first rooster. My point is that some take longer than others, and he might just surprise you later on down the road.

#5 ·
I took my son out for the first time he limited out on squirrels. We cooked them and ate them. We went 2 more times in deer gun season and he hasn't been interested since.

#7 ·
My son started hunting with me when he was 6. I tried my best to teach him everything I could about the sport. From squirrel to deer. When he was 12, he got to carry a bow, shotgun, or rifle. Whatever the season permitted. He's now 19. He's taken 5 bucks, 9 does, and 5 turkeys in his 8 seasons. Not to mention squirrels, rabbits, pheasants. He also loves fishing. Say what you want about the PGC, the laws, antler restrictions, the seasons, the changes that we as hunters faced through the last 20 years. I do know this, youngsters are given a golden opportunity by the PGC, but it's up to us as parents, friends, relatives, etc. to help guide them to make the most of what is offered to them. Don't expect them to walk out in the woods, not knowing anything about their quarry and expect them to stay interested. Teach them.

Reactions: EIGHT POINT
#10 ·
I've been taking my son with me since he was 6. He's 16 now and goes with me every chance he gets. I really stressed gun safety and good hunting ethics and he really listened and learned. While doing that teaching we made sure we had fun. We even had a wrestling match in a corn field one slow day. I strongly believe that you have to keep hunting fun and not have kids just sit still and quiet for hours on end no matter what game your hunting. He's been very successful in his short hunting career and always brings up the wrestling wanting a rematch. Now I just come up with excuses not to have it cause he would probably pound me now.

#11 ·
I started taking my son hunting when he was in preschool. He’s 33 now. He’s hunted with me in Maine, Idaho, Alaska and Newfoundland. When he was little, we would go to camp nearly every weekend in hunting season. He’s killed a buck every year since he was 12, most were larger than the ones I killed. He’s probably a better hunter than me. He never got into trapping , probably because I had to give it up do to my work, and didn’t restart again till I retired 7 years ago. He never got any exposure to it.

I have 5 grandsons ( all under age five), and another grandchild (?) coming this week. I hope some of them hunt and trap....I got a lot of gear to give away some day.

#14 ·
All you can really do is give them fun exposure to the outdoors. Everyone is different and will naturally progress towards things they like, some slowly, some at breakneck speed, some not much at all. We're all made different.

I got four grandchildren and another on the way. The oldest has been along on a few crow, dove and duck hunts. This summer old Pap is gonna start taking her to the creek to catch minnies, crayfish, lizards, turtles and snakes. I can't wait!!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.