French Creek Outfitters: End of Another local store - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

French Creek Outfitters: End of Another local store

It is kind of disheartening that another good local go to sporting goods store will be closing their doors in February. It is the end of an era for this store, from their meek start almost more than 25 years ago in Pottstown. Before the bashing starts, sometimes they did not appeal to everyone, and did not have everything in stock. But they had a solid fishing, gun and most importantly a great Bow shop. I personally have bought my first compound bow from them in Pottstown and recently my 5th. My son has bought 2 there and we are saddened in every sense to see them go. They were always opened when you needed them, got me out a jam a few times with last minute items and the archery department was among the best I have seen. Guys are always saying "buy local" and refrain from spending $ at the box stores, myself and many others like me have done this for a long time and now that is coming to a sad end. The reasons for this closure were many and there is plenty of conjecture to go around but the one thing that will remain, this community and the sportsman of Chester County just lost a local store!

Unlike many of the sour negative experiences that get posted here, my experience has been nothing short of awesome. Our seasons for a long time revolved around this business, from fishing to archery to dusting off the handguns and using the indoor ranges. There will be a lot of lost people looking to replace what we will be losing in a few short months.

What do we have left locally? Dick's? Walmart? I do not shop at either and now I will be forced to look else where to have my Hoyt ready for the grind of long archery seasons.. Mike and his staff have been nothing short of great over the last 20+ years and I wish them well in the future and hope retirement brings them both everything they hope it will be, you certainly earned it.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 PM
The Man

Why are they closing?

I stopped there when I was in the area. I always thought it was one of the best equipped shops in the SE.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Why are they closing?

I stopped there when I was in the area. I always thought it was one of the best equipped shops in the SE.
Multiple, they lease that space and they keep getting hit with increases, and the owners are getting older, it was time. And the big box stores did not help. They just renovated the gun range not that long ago, shame.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 PM

The Sportsman's Shop.
Kings Shooting Supplies.
Richland Gun Shop.
Dixon's.
Gordon's.
Shyda's.
Enck's.

Probably more that I can not recall just now.

You do not need to go to Dicks.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I stopped there for the first time looking to purchase a new archery target in October and was in disbelief. Only 2 targets were on the floor.
Not what I was expecting. Very Sad.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:04 PM
The Man

Kerpers gun shop
Darryls gun shop
Wolfs sports center

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 PM
The Man

Maybe not that close to Chester Co., and maybe not exactly mom & pop operations, but Kinsey's Outdoors and Lancaster Archery are great shops and retain a small shop appeal.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:14 PM

For archery gear its hard to beat Lancaster Archery. I take the ride and its worth it.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
For archery gear its hard to beat Lancaster Archery. I take the ride and its worth it.
Except for their prices, which are often higher than the MSRP.
rtkbowhunter and Pahack like this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Regular Visitor

Weaver's Store in Fivepointville has a real nice archery shop and outdoors department. They are more than just a great place to get boots. I live in Terre Hill less than 2 miles away.

They also hill a store in Spring Mills, just west of Millheim, right next to Burkholder's Grovery Store. Real convenient for deer camp.
jimsdad and rtkbowhunter like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in