Switch it back - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 441Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Switch it back

Well now that the first week is over I’ve decided I would like the opener to go back to Monday. Camp was not the same this year, everything felt rushed. Traditionally in my family, we all go get our Christmas trees the morning after thanksgiving, then all go out for lunch. After the trees are up the guys always left for camp, usually around 3 or 4. This year we did the same, but it was stressful as heck for some of us who wanted to get it done so we could get camp during daylight. Usually guys would all show up Friday evening, some Saturday morning. We always hunted turkeys that day, and guys would go get their spots ready. There was always plenty of time to do little chores around camp that needed done, it was just a good relaxing time. Plus being at camp all weekend, with anticipation building up to the big day on Monday was pretty cool, I really missed that this year. I’m all for increased hunting opportunities, but honestly the trade off, one extra day of hunting vs losing the tradition of deer camp, not worth it. We have plenty of deer hunting opportunity here in PA, more then ever actually. I love deer hunting, and I work hard at it, but the time at camp, the camaraderie with friends and family, that is what made rifle season so great. The Saturday opener really put a damper on that. I noticed a lot of guys at local camps hunted Saturday and went home. Most of the guys at camp are really slowing down with age, and a few have passed on to the happy hunting grounds above. I don’t want to see this tradition die. Some of my most cherished hunting memories are of camp life, not actual hunting. It really makes me sad to think the kids in my family may never get to experience it. I know I can make new traditions and adapt to the times, I just don’t want to. Maybe it’s nostalgia, or maybe I’m just stubborn and set in my ways, I don’t know. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant, it’s been weighing on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
Well now that the first week is over Iíve decided I would like the opener to go back to Monday. Camp was not the same this year, everything felt rushed. Traditionally in my family, we all go get our Christmas trees the morning after thanksgiving, then all go out for lunch. After the trees are up the guys always left for camp, usually around 3 or 4. This year we did the same, but it was stressful as heck for some of us who wanted to get it done so we could get camp during daylight. Usually guys would all show up Friday evening, some Saturday morning. We always hunted turkeys that day, and guys would go get their spots ready. There was always plenty of time to do little chores around camp that needed done, it was just a good relaxing time. Plus being at camp all weekend, with anticipation building up to the big day on Monday was pretty cool, I really missed that this year. Iím all for increased hunting opportunities, but honestly the trade off, one extra day of hunting vs losing the tradition of deer camp, not worth it. We have plenty of deer hunting opportunity here in PA, more then ever actually. I love deer hunting, and I work hard at it, but the time at camp, the camaraderie with friends and family, that is what made rifle season so great. The Saturday opener really put a damper on that. I noticed a lot of guys at local camps hunted Saturday and went home. Most of the guys at camp are really slowing down with age, and a few have passed on to the happy hunting grounds above. I donít want to see this tradition die. Some of my most cherished hunting memories are of camp life, not actual hunting. It really makes me sad to think the kids in my family may never get to experience it. I know I can make new traditions and adapt to the times, I just donít want to. Maybe itís nostalgia, or maybe Iím just stubborn and set in my ways, I donít know. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant, itís been weighing on me.
I totally agree! Now for all the ďkeep your tradition and just wait till Monday to huntĒ talk.
post #3 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM

We're all in different situations. I personally liked the Saturday opener. I was at a camp yesterday with 15 guys hunting, not one complaint when we spoke about the opener. The majority of the guys don't have to travel very far to get there though. How many times a year do you guys get together to enjoy the camaraderie of camp?
Muzz, Loggy, Danesdad and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM

We all love the Saturday opener. Started hopefully a new tradition of Thanksgiving at camp and as always loved a extra day to hunt and didn't have to use a day of vacation !!! Keep the Saturday opener !!!!!!
Loggy, Danesdad and SRA-5C+ like this.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #5 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage

Only downside with Saturday is the Sunday layover day. Next year I think that will be a non issue. All hunters I spoke to like having the opener on a Saturday but most have their sights set on adding Sunday.
Danesdad likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Agree switch it back.
Dogface, Asajoe1, bobdoo and 3 others like this.

4B
post #7 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 AM

I hope they keep it Saturday opener with hunting on the first Sunday. I also hope they make the Sunday of the second week a day you can hunt. Nothing in life stays the same...start some new traditions.
post #8 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

a couple guys at camp I only see once a year, at deer camp. Another thing I noticed was a huge decline in hunters in the woods on Monday. Most guys used to take the first three days off at least, usually the whole first week. With all the deer hunting opportunities before rifle season these days, plus Saturday opener, why “waste” vacation days? So many camps were empty by Monday this year it didn’t feel like deer season at all. That was another tradition I loved, visiting the neighboring camps, the poker games, the deer stories. Camp next to us was empty for the opener this year, first time ever. I know it’s different for everyone, and some people were very happy with the new opener.
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #9 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

What about a SUNDAY opener next year? That would benefit everyone imo.
bobdoo and dchunter like this.
post #10 of 364 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Itís going to be interesting next with at least one added Sunday in rifle season, maybe even 2 but I doubt it. Anyone hear anything on the increase/decrease of license sales this year?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page