The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Horse and Buggy on Game lands

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Steeltrap 
#1 ·
My father was recently hunting on game lands where a portion of the game lands are open to vehicles.

The access area is similar to a T , with a gate on each end of the T. Each year prior to gun season, the game commission has been opening the gate on the left side of the T for hunters to drive their vehicles on the road to improve hunter access. The gate on the right side of the T is closed to vehicles.

My father was hunting on the side with the closed gate(right side of T/closed to vehicle access) and noticed on his walk back, horse and buggy tracks along the road. Coincidentally there was a horse and buggy parked in the parking area when he went in.

He discovered the Amish had went in with the horse and buggy on the side that was open, then went through a brush field to get over to the closed side where they were hunting. Apparently they shot a buck and used the horse and buggy to get it.

He ended up talking with a game warden shortly after he returned and mentioned the buggy tracks. The game warden said "technically" it is legal, but this doesn't sound right to me.

Even if horses are allowed, wouldn't the buggy make it illegal? The game wardens use of the word technically makes me wonder if he just didn't want to pursue and was maybe too busy. The amish were already gone when he had the conversation.

See less See more
#7 ·
Even if horses are allowed, wouldn't the buggy make it illegal? The game wardens use of the word technically makes me wonder if he just didn't want to pursue and was maybe too busy. The amish were already gone when he had the conversation.
Horse is legal
Wheelbarrow/cart is legal
buggy is nothing but a big cart

I would think both are legal.

I imagine if you wanted to push a truck with no engine in it to use as a conveyance to remove game, technically that would be legal. Good luck with that one.

#9 ·
The part that made me think it was illegal was that he entered using the open gate side of the game lands and snuck over to access the side that was closed to vehicles.To do this he had to go off of the access road through a thick wooded field using a trail. I thought you weren’t allowed to disturb the “off road” type areas.

#16 ·
Didn't read through all of this, but I think the only illegal part may have been taking the horse and buggy through the field. I think the gamelands regs state that horses are only allowed on designated trails.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.