Road hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Road hunters

The snow and cold temperatures really got the road hunters moving today. I stayed in my tree until 1:00pm , and made a run back to camp to get dry clothes for the evening. I must have been the only one who was cold, because a high percentage of trucks on the state forest road was creeping along at 15 mph with both windows down.

I saw where someone whacked one in its bed today, about 25 yards off the SF road. Drug it onto the road and were gone. Not surprisingly, they never stopped to gut it. One of the PGC deer decoys here would have looked like Swiss cheese by the end of the day.

There’s many folks who only road hunt. I’ll see the same guys hit the road every afternoon, running the same roads like clockwork. Doesn’t matter if they’re driving through private or public ground, they’re not fussy.

My aunt married her 3rd husband in NYC. A real jerk. He would come to Pa hunting season, gas up the two saddle tanks on his GMC, and road hunt the entire day. Grouse, turkey, deer, bear....whatever was in season.
jimbridger, bohunr and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 PM

It's bad. 15 mph? The telltale for me is the losers you see driving less than 5 mph, up and down, up and down, up and down, same trucks all day. You come up on them driving a normal 25 and they pull over as soon as they can. I wish the PGC would do more of the decoying, it doesn't seem like you ever hear about it like you used to.
bohunr, Pahack, Vonfoust and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lol the cold weather. It could be 60 degrees, no wind and sunny and they’d be out in full force.
Been that way for the 30 plus years I’ve been hunting. Seems actually a little better now that you don’t have as many camps where people drink till early morning then go “hunt” by driving around from 10- noon and call it a say
bohunr, limbhnger10 and simoncool like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I saw two old guys, probably in their late 70s or early 80s, creeping down the road in front of me. The passenger had a few inches of gun barrel hanging out the window.

Road hunting, beside being illegal, is dangerous. Dangerous for the guys doing the shooting from inside the vehicle, and a danger to hunters who may be nearby in the woods or driving on the same road. The shooter hasn’t really assessed what’s going on, and has tunnel vision on the deer he’s about to shoot.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipNrip View Post
Lol the cold weather. It could be 60 degrees, no wind and sunny and they’d be out in full force.
Been that way for the 30 plus years I’ve been hunting. Seems actually a little better now that you don’t have as many camps where people drink till early morning then go “hunt” by driving around from 10- noon and call it a say
This gave me a chuckle....on opening morning, at 6:00 am, I drove by the Strip Club at the crossroads of 879 and 144 on my way out to hunt. There were still a couple dozen vehicles in the parking lot, and saw two fellas putting on their orange coats to go hunting.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
This gave me a chuckle....on opening morning, at 6:00 am, I drove by the Strip Club at the crossroads of 879 and 144 on my way out to hunt. There were still a couple dozen vehicles in the parking lot, and saw two fellas putting on their orange coats to go hunting.

Eggs and legs for breakfast!
Muzz, coyotejohn, bohunr and 5 others like this.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I posted about road hunters last year and I was the bad guy. I just found my 5th dead doe this year. It was probably shot Thursday or Friday. It's the same 4 or 5 trucks/cars. Takes about 20 minutes to drive around the block. Every field and wood line is posted.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bigbownie: You sound shocked.. This is Pa and this tradition just like spotlighting, deer drives and trespassing all go hand in hand.. Where is a smartly placed Robo deer when you need one.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrownie View Post
this gave me a chuckle....on opening morning, at 6:00 am, i drove by the strip club at the crossroads of 879 and 144 on my way out to hunt. There were still a couple dozen vehicles in the parking lot, and saw two fellas putting on their orange coats to go hunting.

lol!!!!!!!!!!
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I saw two old guys, probably in their late 70s or early 80s, creeping down the road in front of me. The passenger had a few inches of gun barrel hanging out the window.

Road hunting, beside being illegal, is dangerous. Dangerous for the guys doing the shooting from inside the vehicle, and a danger to hunters who may be nearby in the woods or driving on the same road. The shooter hasn’t really assessed what’s going on, and has tunnel vision on the deer he’s about to shoot.

This...

And they never focus on what is beyond the deer they are illegally taking either.
bohunr and Pahack like this.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page