Road hunters - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:29 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoons View Post
I always enjoy a good day or two road hunting for grouse when I'm in Maine. But it should never take more than a couple hours to get the limit of 4. The real fun part is trying to slip out of the truck and line 2 of them up to kill them with 1 shot. I've only achieved that feat a couple times. Even up there the grouse get a little skittish after a few weeks and you end up shooting more of them along the edge of the road or sitting in the bush next to the road. But the first week or two you usually kill them right in the middle of the road. But I'm not sure what all this talk about creeping around 5mph is about. I like to drive a little faster. More miles covered equals a quicker limit.
Sounds like a real blast.The only thing I have less respect for other than a ground pounder is a road hunter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

because of recent hip replacement surgery and still using a walker - I am hunting off the front porch of my house - I can hear vehicles coming down the road 1/2 mi away - they drive about 5 mph till they get right in front of the house and notice notice me sitting on the porch. then off they go.. I just wave at them..not sure if they know just how many deer cross the road and run up thru my yard.. the house its about 100 yards off the road so I have plenty time to check out the deer!
bohunr, limbhnger10 and Mussgrass like this.
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 PM

I guess I'm a road hunter. I haven't gun hunted in 22 years, but every year I put an orange hat & jacket on and drive the roads around my hunting areas to see how much hunting pressure they're receiving. I also check tracks when there's a snow on, and continue to run trail cams in some areas. Just because you see someone putting around doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to kill a deer from the vehicle.
Muzz, bohunr, LONZO and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To piggy back on TBroms comments, the owner of the camp I hunt out of is a WW2 vet, and still comes up to camp every year, brings all his gear and guns, buys his license, etc. But realistically, the closest he comes to hunting these days is driving the gamelands and state forest roads with his son looking for deer and seeing how many guys are hunting. When they do it, they don't even have their gear and guns. Just a drive.
Mussgrass likes this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 PM
The Man

I've been a road hunter all week. I have yet to set foot in the woods during rifle season. Saturday will be the first for me. But I have gone for a couple rides looking for deer and to see how many guys are out. On the back dirt roads, I ride pretty slow, with the window down and my binoculars ready. This thread got me to wondering how many people saw me go by and thought I was road "hunting."
Mussgrass likes this.
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
Quote:
I always enjoy a good day or two road hunting for grouse when I'm in Maine. But it should never take more than a couple hours to get the limit of 4. The real fun part is trying to slip out of the truck and line 2 of them up to kill them with 1 shot. I've only achieved that feat a couple times. Even up there the grouse get a little skittish after a few weeks and you end up shooting more of them along the edge of the road or sitting in the bush next to the road. But the first week or two you usually kill them right in the middle of the road. But I'm not sure what all this talk about creeping around 5mph is about. I like to drive a little faster. More miles covered equals a quicker limit.
Sounds like a real blast.The only thing I have less respect for other than a ground pounder is a road hunter.
Well ya it's a blast. And it's legal, and fun. I'm telling you, when you line two of them up and snipe them with one shot from a 410, it's very sporting too...lol

But seriously, Kind of sad that you look down your nose at other hunters. Would you tell all the locals there that only hunt that way the same thing? You do realize that there's a world outside of Pa , right?
jimbridger likes this.
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Well ya it's a blast. And it's legal, and fun. I'm telling you, when you line two of them up and snipe them with one shot from a 410, it's very sporting too...lol

But seriously, Kind of sad that you look down your nose at other hunters. Would you tell all the locals there that only hunt that way the same thing? You do realize that there's a world outside of Pa , right?
Yep, it's a big world, other states have mouth breathers too! Not just PA.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 AM
The Man

..just because someone is slow rolln doesn't mean they're a "road hunter" with illegal intentions...if I'm on any dirt or T&C road..dry or wet..deer hunting season or not..I'm driving slow..

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM
The Man

I guess I am guilty of road hunting, too. Between morning and evening sits I can usually be found driving slowly down the back roads on my way to the closest burger joint for a couple sandwiches and a chocolate milkshake. I always bring my lunch back to a gamelands or state forest parking lot to relax and rest before getting back into the woods. On my travels I try to gauge the hunting pressure around where I am hunting. So, I think some would think I am road hunting, particularly those who don't get too far off the road...

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D

Last edited by NanookOdaNorth; 12-08-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 AM
The Man

I threw in the towel a couple hours early yesterday. Sat in my climber high on the ridge for over 6 hours and didnít see a deer. No shooting and no hunters around me to get the deer moving. Tried to slip into a few other spots after I got down but with the frozen ground it was impossible because of the noise. Basically spent the rest of the evening driving around looking to see how many guys were out and looking for deer. My rifle was packed away and had zero intentions of hunting. I drive around looking for deer several times during the season. With my busy lifestyle at home itís very relaxing just being in the truck, listening to talk radio and driving around. Guys can think whatever they want when they see me roll by but I am doing nothing illegal and itís a free country.
3Toes, Buckskin Dave and Mussgrass like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page