post #181 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
The online fees for my local news has no less than FIVE separate stories about this “horrific” act and then, buried at the bottom, was the story of the PA mother who hung her 8 and 4 year old kids in the basement and then claimed that they did it themselves...

Again, I am disgusted by this whole thing but holy cow, the coverage and the “outrage” over this is getting over the top, out of hand...
There are a scary amount of people out there who have more sympathy for animals than they do for human beings.
Exactly.
Anthropomorphism, and our fellow "hunters" are displaying it right here. The only thing more disturbing than the acts of those miscreants , is the response by alot of the commentators, even right on this sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

I see comments about red flag laws. Red flag laws take your rights away without due process.
This is not a red flag case. These two have committed a crime and will have a hearing, due process.
bohunr and Dogface like this.
post #183 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Administrator

By John Luciew | [email protected]
BROOKVILLE, Pa. – Upon seeing a now-viral video of two teens kicking and torturing a wounded deer, the police chief here was said to be sick — but not for the same reasons as other viewers of the vile video.

According to Brookville solicitor James D. Dennison, Chief Vince Markle immediately recognized his stepson as one of the two teens laughing and kicking the animal in the video posted to social media.

In an interview with PennLive, Dennison said the chief called him early Sunday morning and informed him that his stepson, Alex Smith, 18, was one of the the Brookville High School teens in the video.

“Vince is as upset, if not more upset, than anyone else,” Dennison said. “This is a relation to his family. He said it reflects on him, and he was real concerned about how it reflects on Brookville. He was shocked that anybody in this world would do that, especially his stepson. He was just sick, absolutely sick.”

Dennison said the chief’s relationship with his stepson has been strained for some time.

“Vince married Alex’s mother. He really didn’t meet Alex until he was 14 years old, and Alex has not lived in their house for the last 2 1/2 years. There are issues. He has issues with his stepson,” he said.

Dennison said Chief Markle immediately instructed his officers to make a copy of the video to preserve as evidence and to inform the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

“I don’t think there is any sympathy for what these kids did,” Dennison said. “The chief has done the right thing, and he will do the right thing.”

The police department is not involved in the active and ongoing criminal investigation of the case, which is being handled by the game commission and the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office, Dennison said.

Dennison vowed neither the chief nor anyone on the borough staff would seek preferential treatment in the case, despite the family relationship.

“There will be no favoritism,” Dennison said. “I can assure everybody that the Borough of Brookville will do the right thing here and will not expect any favors for these kids or ask for any favors for these kids and will let the DA and the Pennsylvania Game Commission handle it and not interfere in any way.”

The video has reverberated nationally, as shown by an online petition calling for both teens to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The petition had gathered more than 530,000 signatures.

The 30-second video, which one of the two teens posted on social media last Saturday, ignited a fierce backlash online. The fallout, which includes death threats and threats of fire-bombing homes, began that Saturday night and came to the chief’s attention when his own family members were requesting police protection, Dennison said.

Similar threats also were focused on a restaurant owned by the parents of the other teen in the video, whom Dennison identified as Cody Hetrick, 16.

His family’s restaurant, Devil’s BBQ, is in the borough and was subject to added police surveillance as it also received threats after both teens were identified on social media.

“When I talked to the chief, he let me know Devil’s BBQ was having problems and the house where Alex Smith was staying was having problems,” Dennison said. “He was informing me as solicitor the issues that were occurring in the borough.”

Dennison said Devil’s BBQ closed Sunday due to the threats, but reopened Tuesday. In addition to posting threatening and often profane comments on the restaurant’s Facebook page, many angered by the video also posted Yelp and TripAdvisor reviews expressing their disgust until both sites suspended publishing of new reviews.

A PennLive reporter and photographer visited the restaurant over the lunch hour Thursday and found the place empty, although a restaurant/bar right next door was packed for lunch.

The owners of Devil’s BBQ are Cody’s parents, Rob and MeriBeth Hetrick. They would not comment when PennLive journalists visited and asked for comments. Subsequent phone calls to the restaurant seeking a response to Dennison’s comments were not answered.

Dennison said Pennsylvania state police are actively investigating at least some of the threats made in reaction to the video.

https://www.pennlive.com/crime/2019/...Good%20Morning

bohunr and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Here is the part that I don't get about the video. The intent of new federal law appears to not allow filming of stuff like that with some exclusions. But no one is trying to stop the sharing and further viewing of it on the internet. In this day and age of how many facebook and social media things get automatically removed with special artificial intelligence to capture it or ensure fake people from Russia can't post memes to influence an election, we still seem to be fine with spreading this video around further.
bohunr likes this.
post #185 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

While I DO NOT condone these kids actions.... I also CAN NOT condone many of the responses(all over the internet) that I've read - some are just as sick as what these boys did. I also do not condone "boycotting" the family business as that may affect more than just the family - kind of like when the PETA freaks forced that dentist to close his office(except he LEGALLY killed the lion). Blaming the family due to "bad parenting", family "history" or family "connections". People want blood and they want it NOW.... petitions started within hours of the video being posted, PGC's F/B flooded with posts demanding immediate action or WORSE accusing the PGC of "sweeping it under the rug". I've even seen several Trump haters asking Trump to get involved !

I would like to ask ... Why none of their classmates/ "friends" reported the earlier incidents involving the groundhog and chipmunk ?

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #186 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:40 AM

people should be upset about this but they should not be threatening the family or family business. we can raise our children the best we can and have them behave properly when they are around us. we can not control what they do when we are not around. we can only hope they will continue to do as they were raised. i am not defending them, just saying what i feel.

we can pick our nose but not our relatives.
loridr, Tony300wby and Shiftyshad like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #187 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:09 PM
The Man

I read Casey's post. It is a shame so many associated with these XXX XXXX'S have to suffer because of their actions.
bohunr and Tony300wby like this.
post #188 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
There are a scary amount of people out there who have more sympathy for animals than they do for human beings.
That is true and it is pretty sad. I am not one of those people. I get frustrated when the local news puts out stories of poor lost dogs or abandoned animals. I don't consider that news.... But this was an abomination. This is the behavior of future serial killers. This isn't just about a poor, unfortunate deer. This is about depravity and sadism and mental deficiencies and parental failure. And this should be a big story because part of making these kids right involves impressing upon them the magnitude of the wrong that they did. These kids need to understand that society will not tolerate this type of abhorrent behavior. Seeing the level of outrage their act has inspired is the first important step to getting them the psychological help they desperately need. And revoking their gun rights forever will probably save at least one, and probably several lives.
bohunr likes this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #189 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
people should be upset about this but they should not be threatening the family or family business. we can raise our children the best we can and have them behave properly when they are around us. we can not control what they do when we are not around. we can only hope they will continue to do as they were raised. i am not defending them, just saying what i feel.

we can pick our nose but not our relatives.
How do you know how they were raised? What makes you assume they were raised "the best we can"? At least one of them was the product of a broken home. We don't know anything about how these losers were brought up. The parents absolutely have a level of culpability here. Without question. The only question is what that level will be.

While I am outraged at their behavior, I never threatened those kids or their families. I assume that the law, in it's wisdom, will deal with them. While I will take solace in any punishment they get, I will not "take up arms" against them myself. But, I can tell you this...I'll eat my own feces before I patronize that families restaurant.
bohunr likes this.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #190 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
How do you know how they were raised? What makes you assume they were raised "the best we can"? At least one of them was the product of a broken home. We don't know anything about how these losers were brought up. The parents absolutely have a level of culpability here. Without question. The only question is what that level will be.

While I am outraged at their behavior, I never threatened those kids or their families. I assume that the law, in it's wisdom, will deal with them. While I will take solace in any punishment they get, I will not "take up arms" against them myself. But, I can tell you this...I'll eat my own feces before I patronize that families restaurant.

i was simply saying that ALL OF US can only do so much with our own children. i have no idea how those two nut jobs were raised. some good kids go bad even though they were raised right.

i never meant to imply that you would threaten or have threatened the kids or their families, if you took it that way, i apologize. what i said was a blanket statement. IF their families condone this type of behavior, then they are to blame as well.

i was never raised to get drunk or drink underage but i did my share in high school and to this day cant stand beer . that doesnt mean my parents were at fault because i got drunk at my friends house. granted thats a big difference but our parents cant control what we do outside of the home.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page