Saturday Open.... Wasn't so bad - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Saturday Open.... Wasn't so bad

Well now that the first Saturday opener is in the books for me it wasn't so bad. The pressure locally was a little lighter than normal. I got to hunt dark to dark which I can't do when I hunt at home during the week. I have have to get my kids on and off the bus and from daycare. So even though I wasn't a fan going in I kinda hope they keep it. Now I do like this Sunday off so I hope they use he rifle Sunday on the doe opener weekend to increase opportunity.

So did anyone else's mind change after hunting yesterday?
Bull and Mussgrass like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:47 AM

I wasn't really opposed to the saturday opener, but after this weekend I now have a couple reasons to be in favor of it. My grandsons always visit thanksgiving weekend, but they leave for home on sunday. This new saturday opener will allow us to hunt small game for a couple days, then buck hunt saturday, something that might not have been possible before. Hunting is still a few years away, but now at least it seems much more doable than before.

Yesterday we had a couple hunters at our farm that haven't really done much hunting. A father in his 50's and a son in his 30's, they have hunted here before but never able to come on the first day due to work issues. Yesterday both took their first bucks, a great day for that family for sure, memories made that will last a lifetime for both of them. Not saying that couldn't have happened otherwise, but theres no doubt that being able to hunt the first day is a big advantage and it worked out great for them.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My mind hasnt changed and it still sucks. Way less hunters than last year. From the sounds of it, most hunters are reporting the same with hunting pressure, other than a handful of SGL that were fuller than normal, most are saying not many people out.
delhunter, buzz, Asajoe1 and 6 others like this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:09 AM

I can't complain too much, the sat opener was good to me. But I would love too see it start on Sunday next year. Just too hectic with thanksgiving, black Friday and rifle opener back to back to back. Maybe if it started next Sat it would be better. Sure feels weird not being in the woods the day after the opener.
post #5 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 AM

I heard a TON of shots yesterday. Well over 50 while I was out for roughly 7 hours. That’s far more than I’ve heard in previous years. I think yesterday was a success for many.

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
My mind hasnt changed and it still sucks. Way less hunters than last year. From the sounds of it, most hunters are reporting the same with hunting pressure, other than a handful of SGL that were fuller than normal, most are saying not many people out.

It's not the Saturday start.

First, consider the trend of declining license sales. Less hunters, period.

Next, consider the trend of land being posted up, leased, or otherwise not accessible to the majority. Lots and lots more of that over the last ten years or so. Deer head to these sanctuaries and stay there until the pressure ends.

Most importantly, consider the rise of archery. I have the deer kill data as far back as the PGC has (or had) it published on their website. The percentage of bucks killed by an arrow in comparison to the overall buck kill has consistently and steadily increased. Better vertical bows, and the intro of the crossbow to anyone was clearly a game changer. When one third (or more, pushing 40%) of the bucks are killed by archers, those hunters are more likely than not to sit out the opener. Most of PA is not concurrent doe and buck.

The numbers of hunters in the woods and shots heard has been in a steady decline for a while now, from my own experiences. Moving it to a Saturday start is a good way to push this in the other direction, for the reasons people have shared.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #7 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was never opposed to it, but after hunting it, I’m a fan. I wasn’t able to hunt dark til dark(close, dark til 3) but it’s rare I can in any season. So an extra day to hunt and now a day to recover. Can’t be beat. In years past, if I’m able to hunt first day, it’s monday only. This year I’m able to hunt both Saturday and Monday!

Thanks PGC for the expanded opportunity!
post #8 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethFrumAbuv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post

It's not the Saturday start.

First, consider the trend of declining license sales. Less hunters, period.

Next, consider the trend of land being posted up, leased, or otherwise not accessible to the majority. Lots and lots more of that over the last ten years or so. Deer head to these sanctuaries and stay there until the pressure ends.

Most importantly, consider the rise of archery. I have the deer kill data as far back as the PGC has (or had) it published on their website. The percentage of bucks killed by an arrow in comparison to the overall buck kill has consistently and steadily increased. Better vertical bows, and the intro of the crossbow to anyone was clearly a game changer. When one third (or more, pushing 40%) of the bucks are killed by archers, those hunters are more likely than not to sit out the opener. Most of PA is not concurrent doe and buck.

The numbers of hunters in the woods and shots heard has been in a steady decline for a while now, from my own experiences. Moving it to a Saturday start is a good way to push this in the other direction, for the reasons people have shared.
Yep, the guys who’ve shot a buck in archery is a huge factor in not being out there. If they opened up concurrent seasons on opening day, I’d think you’d really see a difference.
whil e kioti likes this.
post #9 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Deer were moving like it was the archery opener where I was at. Land owners on either side of our property both had work so no deer really getting pushed around like past years. Friday was a little chaotic with guys showing up throughout the evening. Rather have it on a Monday!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pleasantly surprised Less hunters then any Monday opener I've hunted. Since I tagged out in archery I scouted a game land and never saw another hunter. By the time I came out at 10 to go to my property I had seen 10 doe 3 bucks one of which was a slammer and I was still the only car there. With 3 legal buck and 8 buck total and 30+ deer total, might just be my best first day ever.

Last edited by LONZO; 12-01-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page