Governor signed it - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 66Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
they back tracked on Semi autos for big game [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Yes. Unfortunately they folded like a cheap suit.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Administrator

To All

The personal attacks stop right now!
bohunr likes this.

MAGA 2020
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 09:17 PM

There is SO much hypocrisy and contradictions when it comes to these issues...

Rifle season “tradition” guys get all hot under the collar if anyone dares use the term “orange army” or “brown it’s down” crew and has pretty much any criticism of rifle season. They complain about archers having so much time to hunt before they get the chance to.

So along comes expanded opportunities for gun season and they turn around and start bashing that! And they chastise anyone for stereotyping hun hunters, then turn around and claim that if they allow semi autos that it will be like WW3 out there and they nobody will be safe...

It’s about “tradition”, nothing more, nothing less. These new proposals mean CHANGE and they are adamantly against them because it’s not the way it’s always been done and thus it’s no good. But worst of all, they use scare tactics and invent ridiculous POTENTIAL issues as a way to justify the fact that they just don’t like it and don’t want it changed. They refer to anyone who’s in favor of them as being “selfish” but don’t seem to think that they aren’t being “selfish” for wanting to deny others expanded opportunities. And a lot of those that I see complaining about the Saturday opener and Sunday hunting, openly admit that they’re against it because they hunt in another state and don’t want any changes to affect THEIR routine. That’s not selfish though, I guess. Just a couple months ago, I heard two guys discussing Sunday hunting on the job site. One favored it and the other was adamantly against it. When asked why he was against it, he admitted that it was because he hunted in NY on Sundays. He then came clean that his biggest issue is that he’d be worried that when he went to hunt in NY on Sundays that someone would be out in PA killing “his” deer. This rings true for a lot of the anti Sunday crowd. They’re worried that they won’t be out there on Sunday and that someone else will be in “their” spot, shooting “their” deer. It reminds me of a sportsman’s club meeting that my dad and I attended probably 20 years ago and they had a short discussion on Sunday hunting back then so that the United Federation of Sportsman’s Clubs could gauge the interest in it. When they asked who was in favor of it, my dad and I were the only ones to raise our hands and were instantly met with glares from everyone else in the clubhouse. The one local farmer who was there in front of us, angrily shouted that “if we wanted to hunt on Sundays, do like I do and go to New York!!!” My dad and I just looked at each other and had a chuckle. He was perfectly fine going to another state and hunting on Sundays but by God don’t do it here!

But the bottom line is this. The number of hunters will continue to decline over the next decade or more. It may be slowed somewhat if new hunters can be recruited in any numbers, but it’s inevitable that the numbers will continue to fall. But the game will still have to be managed, with less hunters to do it. That means that opportunities will have to be expanded for those that remain. Less hunters will have to continue to hit the management goals to keep populations in check and the only way to do that is to give them as much opportunity as needed to hit those numbers. We have already seen seasons created and expanded over the last half century and it will continue with things like Sunday hunting and expanded opportunities in suburban areas where deer populations are out of control.

But expanded opportunities or changes in tactics don’t mean that traditions are being destroyed or forgotten. We’ve seen a myriad of changes to our lifestyles, technology, and culture over the years but were still here and the sun will still come up tomorrow. Sunday hunting certainly won’t result in the end of hunting in PA as we know it...
Z71K9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGLE BOY View Post
There is SO much hypocrisy and contradictions when it comes to these issues...

Rifle season “tradition” guys get all hot under the collar if anyone dares use the term “orange army” or “brown it’s down” crew and has pretty much any criticism of rifle season. They complain about archers having so much time to hunt before they get the chance to.

So along comes expanded opportunities for gun season and they turn around and start bashing that! And they chastise anyone for stereotyping hun hunters, then turn around and claim that if they allow semi autos that it will be like WW3 out there and they nobody will be safe...

It’s about “tradition”, nothing more, nothing less. These new proposals mean CHANGE and they are adamantly against them because it’s not the way it’s always been done and thus it’s no good. But worst of all, they use scare tactics and invent ridiculous POTENTIAL issues as a way to justify the fact that they just don’t like it and don’t want it changed. They refer to anyone who’s in favor of them as being “selfish” but don’t seem to think that they aren’t being “selfish” for wanting to deny others expanded opportunities. And a lot of those that I see complaining about the Saturday opener and Sunday hunting, openly admit that they’re against it because they hunt in another state and don’t want any changes to affect THEIR routine. That’s not selfish though, I guess. Just a couple months ago, I heard two guys discussing Sunday hunting on the job site. One favored it and the other was adamantly against it. When asked why he was against it, he admitted that it was because he hunted in NY on Sundays. He then came clean that his biggest issue is that he’d be worried that when he went to hunt in NY on Sundays that someone would be out in PA killing “his” deer. This rings true for a lot of the anti Sunday crowd. They’re worried that they won’t be out there on Sunday and that someone else will be in “their” spot, shooting “their” deer. It reminds me of a sportsman’s club meeting that my dad and I attended probably 20 years ago and they had a short discussion on Sunday hunting back then so that the United Federation of Sportsman’s Clubs could gauge the interest in it. When they asked who was in favor of it, my dad and I were the only ones to raise our hands and were instantly met with glares from everyone else in the clubhouse. The one local farmer who was there in front of us, angrily shouted that “if we wanted to hunt on Sundays, do like I do and go to New York!!!” My dad and I just looked at each other and had a chuckle. He was perfectly fine going to another state and hunting on Sundays but by God don’t do it here!

But the bottom line is this. The number of hunters will continue to decline over the next decade or more. It may be slowed somewhat if new hunters can be recruited in any numbers, but it’s inevitable that the numbers will continue to fall. But the game will still have to be managed, with less hunters to do it. That means that opportunities will have to be expanded for those that remain. Less hunters will have to continue to hit the management goals to keep populations in check and the only way to do that is to give them as much opportunity as needed to hit those numbers. We have already seen seasons created and expanded over the last half century and it will continue with things like Sunday hunting and expanded opportunities in suburban areas where deer populations are out of control.

But expanded opportunities or changes in tactics don’t mean that traditions are being destroyed or forgotten. We’ve seen a myriad of changes to our lifestyles, technology, and culture over the years but were still here and the sun will still come up tomorrow. Sunday hunting certainly won’t result in the end of hunting in PA as we know it...
Excellent post.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I grew up in allentown and my dad only went hunting up at the cabin in Williamsport. There were grouse back then. We would leave after work on Friday, drive 3hrs and hunt Saturday to then drive 3 hrs home. Until I got to high school I only hunted monday, and the 2 Saturdays and monday for doe.
Now I have boys I hunt a lot more than my dad ever did. My oldest is now 19 he never got the grades for more than a day or 2 off of school.
My youngest is 9 he is going to get all the fun.

For years the only day I possibly had off was 1 or 2 Sundays a month. Now I have off most weekends if I want. So at 45 i finally get to hunt without using my few vacation day to go hunting.

I'm grateful for 3 Sundays but I'll be ecstatic when we get em all.
We all dont live close to hunting grounds for a quick hunt after work.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One small step for man one giant step for mankind. Lol... hopefully they open this to all Sundays in the following season and stop the insanity. Watch it rain with 40 mph winds on the Sundays they pick. Lol. Makes me think this was part of the plan for moving the gun opener to Saturday.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Unread 11-29-2019, 01:19 AM
The Man

I myself, even my wife will tell me that I'm a traditionalist. Hunting to me is a valued tradition and in many things I think when some tradition is lost it don't matter anymore. The new agenda is in place and I will be out on Sat. and if Sunday is legal I will hunt it. I mainly shoot very well tuned bolt actions rifles and if semi's pass so be it but I will never buy one. What I have seen in my opinion of the entire ordeal IS politics at its best or worst. None of the reasons have yet been introduced as management reasons, I think this is sad on the PGC part and hunters or other groups lobbying for all the changes. Times has changed and I think giving out the silver spoon is not going to help our sport that I think is going down hill. Maybe in a few years the trend will come back that hunting is more important then basketball, football, video games, and other technology that has taken its place. I made my choice in high school in mid 70's that I was not going to be a NBA player so I chose going squirrel and deer hunting as first priority. I currently have held a hunting license since 1972 and worked a summer job to pay for my $40.00 NR Pa. license. I have enjoyed to this day my tradition of hunting especially in Pa. Best of luck to everyone this Saturday.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in