The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Rifle season

5K views 46 replies 41 participants last post by  Mike M. 
#1 ·
Where will you be on the opener?
How long will you all be at camp?
Camp menu?

#7 ·
I'll be hunting in 4A for the opener and subsequent days until I tag or or the season ends.
I may go to my buddies camp, but probably not. I'm trying to lay off the suds and I actually want to hunt where I know there's big mature deer.

I always make an entire turkey plus all the fixings for the house so we can eat it for the entire week following Thanksgiving.

#8 ·
Be in 2A Friday afternoon and plan on staying till Tuesday evening. Should be 6 of us this year. Saturday night will be the big bonfire after the hunt. Menu will consist of lots of liquids interspersed with some cigars and junk food. Hunting Monday and Tuesday. Maybe some small pushes on Tuesday depending on if their are hunters on the neighboring farms.

Good luck all!

#11 ·
Will be hunting right through the 29th ( archery), taking the gun Saturday and Monday in 5C & 5D...
Should be about 8 of us...
Lunch will be in the field and dinner typically at the bar after the day ends...

Hoping the revise this next year as follows "...taking the gun Saturday, Sunday and Monday....:)

#13 ·
For the opener, if I go out it will be around home in 5B. That all depends if I am willing to battle the crowds. I'll probably hunt again in 5B on monday. Friday of the first week I'll be heading up to camp for the doe opener. I'll drive 5 -6 hours and hunt friday afternoon - tuesday morning and head home. That's been the camp program these past few years since they split the season. The first week isn't much of a draw for me anymore after being concurrent through archery season. As for a menu we are looking at hickory smoked chicken thighs, burgers, kielbasa, and maybe steaks.

#16 ·
We will head to camp in 2C early Friday morning for the the first couple days of rifle. The following 2 weekends we will be at camp in 2D. The last weekend will be a long weekend.

Backstrap, crock pot meals, lunch meat, soup, big breakfasts and a lot of snacks and sweets. A few beverages on Saturday night as well.

We are going up to the 2C camp this weekend to load up the inside wood rack and check for any problems since the last time we were there. Also taking the splitter to take care of some downed trees we cut up.

#18 ·
1. Home, decorating for Christmas with the wife and kids. Recovering from my famous Thanksgiving Feast.
2. 5 days I suspect. (Starting 1st Thursday)
3. Breakfast Casserole (Eggs, Venison Sausage, BACON, Cheese, O'Brien Potatoes), Chili/Cornbread or dogs/cheesesteaks for lunches, dinners include: Buffalo Chicken Casserole, Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole, Reuben Casserole(made with Venison Pastrami), possibly some Tenderloins(Fresh of course), maybe a dinner out if the spirit moves us.

#22 ·
My daughter said she would like to try to go buck hunting again the first day.She tried deer hunting 4 years ago and I failed getting her a shot at any.So I am staying local and probably go to the game lands I harvested my deer on this year.Deer numbers are not that good there and is tough hunting due to some of the terrain where I go,but she said she wants to work for a buck.Need to go out walking some more this weekend.No idea of a meal plan the night before .

#24 ·
We will be hunting in 3B. We owned our little hunting shack since 1979. Never did give it a name. We call it"camp". It's my favorite place to be.No running water and a porta potty.. We will have only 4 of us for the week. Some of the menu will include cleever cuts, sausage,ham and bean soup,chili, pheasant and woodducks. Good luck to everyone who goes out!

#25 ·
Lord willin', from Nov. 29 until Dec. 8 at camp in 3A, NW Tioga County.

When I was younger my goal was to spend the first week of buck up there. Now that I'm retired, have gotten to spend the entire season up there several times over the years. That's even better.

:smile2:

Problem is, after 17 straight days at camp, almost makes me weep to have to leave. If I'm up there that long, she says I need retrained when I get home again.

Funny thing, my mom used to say the same thing when I was a kid and spent parts of summers on relatives' Potter and Tioga dairy farms?

Good luck to all, wherever yinz go.

#43 ·
Lord willin', from Nov. 29 until Dec. 8 at camp in 3A, NW Tioga County.

When I was younger my goal was to spend the first week of buck up there. Now that I'm retired, have gotten to spend the entire season up there several times over the years. That's even better.

Problem is, after 17 straight days at camp, almost makes me weep to have to leave. If I'm up there that long, she says I need retrained when I get home again.

Funny thing, my mom used to say the same thing when I was a kid and spent parts of summers on relatives' Potter and Tioga dairy farms?

Good luck to all, wherever yinz go.
Wifey says the same thing to me...she has to tell me to come in off the porch to use the indoor plumbing!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.