Found a bullet in my archery buck. Caliber? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Found a bullet in my archery buck. Caliber?

Found this bullet lodged in the skin directly above the spine of my archery buck this year. Looked like the deer also had some other metally looking shrapnel in the skin as well but this projectile came out hole. Looks bigger than a .22 but I cannot tell what it is, any ideas? Maybe I will put calipers on it to measure it....This was in 5C where rifle hunting deer is illegal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191109_111511.jpg (432.0 KB, 178 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:45 PM

I'm assuming that is your hand that the bullet is laying in....
Hard to say without something to reference it against...
Measuring it with a caliber will definitely tell you...
My guess is that you are probably correct...
Some dirty poacher with a small caliber rifle or hand gun....
jimbridger likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Put calipers on it, looks like maybe a 22LR but can't size it from the pic. Whatever it is from it is a lead only projectile, not separated from a copper cup because it has the rifling marks.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shot my biggest deer in 1984, hefty 10 point. I like the heart and was slicing it at home. All of a sudden the knife stopped going down thru it. I hit a 22 slug very similar to your pic, the front of the bullet was flattened. No external evidence on the heart, completely healed over, just never made it into one of the heart chambers.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:17 PM

looks like a .22 to me also. if you find out ,please let us know. any spoilage to the meat where you found it ?
jimbridger likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Ask a deer professor how much shrapnal he finds in deer each year, you'll be suprised.

I shot a big one over in ohio in the mid eighties that had a bunch of birdshot in both hams, looked like it had been there for a while. I figured some small game hunter couldn't resist after jumping that buck. At the time I wondered what that guy would have done with a huge buck if he'd killed like that, probably out of season. Probably just left him lay and come back later to cut the horns off.
Potter Co. Joe and ruger300 like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Sage

Butchers find bullets and broad heads inside deer that have been there for a long time. Deer have a strong tenacity to live and a non fatal wound will most likely heal over, grow some thick flesh around the projectile whatever it is and keep on trucking unless an infection takes them out. The land owner of the property I hunt killed a buck one year that I pushed to him. When he was gutting it, he cut himself on a muzzy broad head that was just under the spine. There was no indication of a wound on the deer.
ruger300 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 11-19-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 PM

That looks like a .22 bullet to me, cheap one, no copper coating just lead, mic it and I bet it is very close.

I cut a rage broad head out of a buck's neck roast 4 years ago, it was encased in a grisel like tissue, very tough to cut with a knife. This shocked me because, well the guys who use Rage heads claim nothing lives once they get hit with one, you can see how I was confused right? I have butchered all my own deer since I came home from the service over 30 years ago and have found a few bullet wounds, broken bones, and some anomalies I just couldn't identify too. Tough is what a whitetail is, tough as nails.

As far as the bullet in the heart, that buck must have been a cool customer, a human heart surgeon told me once that most hearts when touched by anything foreign go out of rhythm as if it were a heart attack almost instantly, My dad gut shot a buck through the ham with his 35 Remington, and it dropped and kicked like crazy and died. I gutted that buck and the bullet had gone through the guts and liver, can't remember what lungs looked like but it stopped at the pericardium, the sack that encases the heart. The heart was even bruised, but the pericardium wasn't broken. I figure he gave the buck a death punch with that fat slow bullet.

Tough critters.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

No doubt they are tough. I shot this buck on the last day. Just so happen to talk to a guy who hunts close by and he says it's the buck he shot a week or two earlier. You can see the old wound above my shot. Must have passed through the "dead zone".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191116_171750_1574215633946.jpg (1.56 MB, 156 views)
Potter Co. Joe and jonsie like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:49 AM
The Man

After you use calipers to measure diameter you might want to put it on powder scales to weigh it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page